Cheerio's AE86 of omfghax

Roman

That's A LOT OF POWER in this car, Probably need lots and lots of chassis strengthening + Full roll cage, otherwise the car would just disintegrate, when you put your foot done.

I recall 2-3 years back When I was looking at an 4agte 86 with 200-220 bhp at wheels, which now owned by 4age addict, it was surely felt fast than sti/evo at any speed. But yet very unstable.

Also you probably need hard suspension setup with slick tyres, still I would be very amazed if the driver could handle this thing around the corners when it's done.

SICK CAR man, Would Love to sit in this thing just to feel the straight line speed, probably too scared for the corners.

What's N2 cars?

Hello and thank you for your question, i will try to answer all of these for you as you have prejudged my car terribly haha

1. car is fully seam welded and has a 8 point cage in it.

2. car has wishbone suspension front and rear. It will be running slicks on track and dot rated semis on the road.

3. The front track is 125mm wider, the rear is 115mm wider and the wheel base is 90mm longer over factory AE86. It WILL handle better and than a FD3S RX7. The 2JZGTE only has 3 spark plugs in the engine bay. Its 1st spark plug is 120mm behind a line drawn through the front spindles so technically this is a MR layout and no longer FR. It will turn into corners with ease in layman terms.

Love it man. keep up the Crazy mods.

Questions:

3 spark plugs? How would this work? not only running 3 cylinders right?

also, I agree it is better than FR balance, but Typical MR is not really the same design.

In saying that Your design is exactly the same as the Ferrari 599GTB, or GTO, so Fuck it's well balanced!

HAHA yes well i think you 1st question has been cleared up, but also the definition of a MR vehicle is a one that contains the engine within the track of the vehicle. The 2JZ is entirely behind the front hubbs as you will see it the pics to come therefore making it MR (Mid engine layout Rear wheel drive). It doesnt matter if the engine is behind or in front of the driver. The engine is so far back with the 2jz having the turbo on the right hand side if had to convert the car to left hand drive to avoid mounting the pedals to the turbos dump pipe :lol:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only thing making this thread more awesome is I read your posts in my head in your voic as if you are spinning the sickest yarn while horse is in the background prancing about

hahaha that is perfect! there is a video of bubble goose doing almighty boosh 'the moon' impersonation with shaving cream all over his face and horse is trying to put a trench coat on backward dragoned as hell! i will try find it and post you a link!!

The engine is so far back with the 2jz having the turbo on the right hand side if had to convert the car to left hand drive to avoid mounting the pedals to the turbos dump pipe :lol:

Same issue (or worst case solution) with my E30/1JZ

Loving your work! Makes procrastinating about my project that much easier :D

The 120mm from front axle to No.1 plug, is that 5% of the wheel base (ie. the old OSCA reg's)?

That was what I started building mine too, a while ago

Are you moving the seat back at all?

I've moved mine back ~200mm and run a W58 with the most forward shifter (from a TA63 IIRC).

Have a tilton floor mounted pedal box for when I get to that stage.

Hot feet maybe??

7079457993_7dbe18d0a8_m.jpg

The engine is so far back with the 2jz having the turbo on the right hand side if had to convert the car to left hand drive to avoid mounting the pedals to the turbos dump pipe :lol:

Same issue (or worst case solution) with my E30/1JZ

Loving your work! Makes procrastinating about my project that much easier :D

The 120mm from front axle to No.1 plug, is that 5% of the wheel base (ie. the old OSCA reg's)?

That was what I started building mine too, a while ago

Are you moving the seat back at all?

I've moved mine back ~200mm and run a W58 with the most forward shifter (from a TA63 IIRC).

Have a tilton floor mounted pedal box for when I get to that stage.

Hot feet maybe??

7079457993_7dbe18d0a8_m.jpg

Yep that correct built to comply with OSCA rules my 5% is 125 so thought id give it 5mm leeway in case some old boy in a transam kicks up a fuss.

Also moved my seat back 200mm haha not much room in your pick!! Im looking at running a tremec TKO 5speed at this stage.

It WILL handle better and than a FD3S RX7.

Having never driven a well set up FD - e.g. most I've driven have only had minor suspension mods and haven't been set up for track work - and based on my experience in those cars, all I can say is:

MOTHER OF GOD this will handle well!!!!

Yep that correct built to comply with OSCA rules my 5% is 125 so thought id give it 5mm leeway in case some old boy in a transam kicks up a fuss.

Also moved my seat back 200mm haha not much room in your pick!! Im looking at running a tremec TKO 5speed at this stage.

Thought so, sounds like a similar number to what I used.

Just don't forget the max. 305mm firewall setback, but I think that might be a bit subjective given the shape of the firewall.

Luckily in the E30 the front wheels are quite far forward compared to the cabin, so @305mm there is still some room around the back of the engine

Nice call on the TKO, plently of shifter position options.

BUT, if you're spending that coin, where do you draw the line, as freshly rebuilt Richmond T5 or Jerico 5spd Dog-Boxes are similar cost.

Problem being the 1:1 5th, and finding tall enough diffs.

In that pic I've been a little excited with the angle grinder and cut the floor/tunnel back to the edge of the chassis rails.

There is about 4-5" of floor to go back in, so not as tight as it looks.

Keen to see what you are doing with the front end :D

You guys are nuts.

If you can't make the 305mm firewall thing work, can you just box the engine in panel steel and call it a gearbox tunnel?

Track Car Transformation: underway
Do you have a link to a project thread, or can you post one on here? Very keen to see this build too.

Those camber paltes are pretty slick. Am I right in thinking that you added the caster adjustment up top due to moving to double wishbone?

What class are you planning to race this in?

Hi there at that point in time the car was still McPherson strut. Since moving to wishbone im not using the camber tops. Lots of adjustment in them though, bubble goose is going to use them now on his lancer build http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewto ... 17&t=16787

and building to OSCA race regs, will be road reg to compete in sealed hill climbs and ultimate goal of targa one day.

I was just wondering about the caster and camber adjustment plates with wishbones... Does not compute how it will make an effect..

yep they are ineffective now as have gone to wishbone, was mcpherson strut at the time. bubblegoose gona use them on his lancer.

Thought so, sounds like a similar number to what I used.

Just don't forget the max. 305mm firewall setback, but I think that might be a bit subjective given the shape of the firewall.

Luckily in the E30 the front wheels are quite far forward compared to the cabin, so @305mm there is still some room around the back of the engine

Nice call on the TKO, plently of shifter position options.

BUT, if you're spending that coin, where do you draw the line, as freshly rebuilt Richmond T5 or Jerico 5spd Dog-Boxes are similar cost.

Problem being the 1:1 5th, and finding tall enough diffs.

In that pic I've been a little excited with the angle grinder and cut the floor/tunnel back to the edge of the chassis rails.

There is about 4-5" of floor to go back in, so not as tight as it looks.

Keen to see what you are doing with the front end :D

Haha yes iv asked myself that question many times and it ends up at going to sequential!! im funny with how things look being a fitter/tunner by trade. i hate the look of the jerico plus the thought of it having sluged around in a heavy imperial nascar makes me squirm. I can get a hook up on the TKO making it about $1500 cheaper than a richmond, its really a toss up between those two. Also considered the Tremec T56 magnum 6spd rated to handle 700lb-ft but unsure of its price. Its all to easy to get carried away with the angle grinder haha but im liking your work! Extreme builds are sick!

As for the fire wall the rules interrupt 305mm set back OR 5% wheel base behind line through spindles to 1st plug, my fire wall is set back about 380mm from memory.

I'll hopefully have front end pics up over the next week so stay tuned!!

Hey bairdy, I would check with the technical officer on that one. I think you will find the rule will be 305mm MAX or Like you say 5% of wheels base. I think that would come into affrect if you have a tiny wheel base car and you set it back 300mm but the first spark plug was say 10% behind the strut it would be ineligible. Atleast thats the way i interpret it. would pay to double check. Might have to move one spark plug in front of the strut haha

Hey bairdy, I would check with the technical officer on that one. I think you will find the rule will be 305mm MAX or Like you say 5% of wheels base. I think that would come into affrect if you have a tiny wheel base car and you set it back 300mm but the first spark plug was say 10% behind the strut it would be ineligible. Atleast thats the way i interpret it. would pay to double check. Might have to move one spark plug in front of the strut haha

Yea remember that powerbuilt ae101 with the 2jzgte? it was futher back than mine smaller engine bay yes but still firewall further than 305mm back it states 'Or' so its one or the other in that case, which ever one lets it sit further back. I'll double check with them but overly not to concerned as im putting it there regardless haha

4.2 Engine Position

The engine may be moved forward or backward from its original position in the approved car provided one of the following criteria is satisfied:

• The firewall may be altered up to 305mm from its original position with the engine remaining on the same side of the firewall as original. A section of the original firewall must remain in place as a reference.

Or

• The engine may be set back so that the forward most spark plug is up to 5% of the overall wheelbase behind a line drawn through the front wheel spindles.