Ed's vintage Pioneer car audio projects

0R10N

Yup I've seen a few of those before. The fancy stacked grilles are designed to 'direct' the tweeter sound in a specific direction i.e. outwards and towards the listener.

Were a factory option on some mid '80s Mazdas.

Hachi-ichi: I think the backup 12v on the headunit is for non-component operation. Will have to have a look at documentation when I get home from Taupo.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup I've seen a few of those before. The fancy stacked grilles are designed to 'direct' the tweeter sound in a specific direction i.e. outwards and towards the listener.

Were a factory option on some mid '80s Mazdas.

Hachi-ichi: I think the backup 12v on the headunit is for non-component operation. Will have to have a look at documentation when I get home from Taupo.

got my system working all good now lol, lights up and all. I bought a GEX-T50 Tuner but it's 10 pin and the Tuner DIN plug is 8 pin (cries). no idea what to do about it yet hahahah

• 3 months later...

What a great thread, and what a stunning collection of old Pioneer stuff you have.  :) 

I have this Alpine 5212 tape deck and 20wx20w amplifer unit that I would really love to swap from some early '80s Blaupunkt boxed speakers. Just sayin on the off chance someone has some... 

Alpine.jpg

Cheers sifty :) Older Alpine gear is pretty rare to come across, hopefully someone on here might be able to help you with your Blaupunkt search - otherwise try looking on Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Found these on my fortnightly trawl. The price!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/pioneer/auction-765129800.htm

327714015.jpg

I got some ts-x10s last week for a tenner but they are a bit worse for wear. Happenned to randomly spot them on a starlet parcel tray for sale in the tard.

Seen those x7s the guy has a graphic eq for sale I might try grab...considering those speakers as they are tidy as but yeah dat price.

Woild probably pay that ex japan do you reckon ed?

Speaking of japan my ihtwrweb surfing took me to yahoo auctions today as I said in spam. Oh man dats a dangerous place to browse

• Like 1

Yahoo is a dangerous place, much money can be spent there if you're not careful!

My KX and tuner are the same size as component series, but they have little plastic spacers on either side to convert them to regular DIN size.

I bought my TS-X7s with busted woofers for $20, the housings were nearly mint though (see photo earlier in thread). Paid Axent Audio $120 to refurbish all of the cones and they have been great ever since. Recently swapped them out for some alloy chassis TS-X9s with superior sound so now they just sit in storage.

Got any photos of the condition of the TS-X10s? Take them in to Axent and they will fit new cones, worth it if you plan on actually using them. Those are alloy chassis too from memory.

Yeah richy thats my thought re the X7's  - Ed are they metal or plastic?

Ah right I see, yeah keen for spacers if I end up with the small component size - spotted a kpx-777 on YAJ that I might persue, I need to think what else I will need to run it. Can they connect to amp(s) and then out to the speakers from there or how do these link together?

Yeah the X10's are alloy, I havent pulled them apart/they are still at my desk at work - I have only looked at the outside - a fair bit of superficial scuffs and grubby as. I'll give them a clean and then have a look at if its possible to touch up or re-paint them. If I can tidy them up easily I will use them in prem as they are too big I think for the corolla. I have those carrozzerria speakers to chuck in the corolla which I think are a bit smaller, but again I havent pulled them apart.

Pic of front incomming

TS-X7s are all plastic. Interestingly enough, those TS-X10 fronts look identical to TS-X8 ones (which are plastic).

I'm going to talk to a signwriter friend of Jonny's about some high quality decal reproductions for my TS-X11s and TS-X20s.

My TS-X11s actually have a different style font to Richy's (zenki and kouki?) which you can see in his Datsun thread. But yes, I too am keen to refurbish mine once squid project gets back into full swing.

Actually I stand corrected, they are a slightly different design to the TS-X8. Still pretty boss though.

I must take photos of the Mazda Motor Corp factory option speakers I bought recently. They're basically TS-X20s with Mazda specific branding and a completely different model number. The writing is all faded though :(

It's your usual spiel of "Manufactured for Mazda Motor Corporation to the highest quality standard of the Empire" or something equally long-winded.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet, that will definitely be useful as I have yet to power on and test my GM-D8.

I'm also looking forward to pawing through the bulk lot of gear that's on its way... :D

Currently eyeing this up on Yahoo:

ddgjq270-img600x338-1408856658drkwlm2473

• Like 1