Ed's vintage Pioneer car audio projects

0R10N

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found where someone else with the same problem had opened one up, top row are the speaker outputs.

Bottom row is marked: "ACC"  "G"  "ILM"  "ACC OUT J"   and he said something about it not working with ipod etc as the input, apparently the source needs to be earthed to the same battery as the amp.

Sorry, didn't see this until now.

You've probably figured it out already, but starting from the bottom right - pin 1 is remote (blue), 2 is unused, 3 is ground (black), and 4 is accessory power (red).

Speaker configuration starting from top right - pin 5 is R+ (grey), 6 is R- (grey/black), 7 is L+ (green), and 8 is L- (green/black).

• 1 month later...

Haven't checked this thread in a while. 

I managed to find a good price on a working KEH-770 with new belts etc, comes with a spare unit for parts too. I plan to hook that up to my CDX-3 and run that double DIN. Then rock the JX-1 in the glove box and wire an antenna up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Alloy chassis TS-X9s. Little brother to the TS-X11, they sound nearly as good (and they're nearly as heavy).

Essentially the same setup minus one tweeter each.

12318605395_37d596dfa4_z.jpg

12319039504_3fb4c0305b_z.jpg

12318608645_b2064dd160_z.jpg

Found this period advertising piece. 50Hz frequency response isn't bad for something from the early 1980s.

YUATFHS.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah man, they sounded so good on the test bench that I chucked the TS-X7s out of the coupe and installed them this evening :)

I managed to find a good price on a working KEH-770 with new belts etc, comes with a spare unit for parts too. I plan to hook that up to my CDX-3 and run that double DIN. Then rock the JX-1 in the glove box and wire an antenna up. 

Awesome! Post up some shots when you're done, always like having a nosey at other audio setups.

CD + tape + tuner would be the ultimate in retro cruising, they may be out of vogue but at least you can still find music on CD. Most old cars don't have triple DIN spaces to fit all that gear though.

By the by, what should I do with these? They need a lot of expensive refurbishing, dumb square speakers.

9397976273_73992fa95b_z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

yay finally.

Now to pair one of these with my CDX-3 and hopefully somehow get an AUX setup going too.

I have some new spare belts for it and an entire spare unit for parts !

1796474_737029606315849_1700193632_n.jpg

Sweeeet!

AUX switching might actually be easier with the CDX attached, especially if it has IP-Bus or some way of running a changer (although it could be a bit too old for that).

fit the KEH-770 today with the CDX-3. I feel I'll need a tuner for it as it isn't built in, (if anyone has a spare to sell.... ) if it is then it has already defeated me haha. I haven't wired it into the car yet because I'd prefer to get a loom adapter instead of splicing up factory loom.  Also Ed, a question. The KEH-770 has what looks like a "backup" 12V connection, weird as it already looks like it has 12V earth and power in the main plug loom. I'll take a photo but seeing as retro car audio is new to me, I may have a few more questions. 

1964979_738197712865705_557414965_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Have you seen a pair of Pioneer Speakers like these before?, They came in an English import Bmw 525i that I wrecked

Pioneer1.jpg

pioneer2.jpg

pioneer4.jpg

pioneer3.jpgo

sadly the main speakers in them are shot, but i have some slightly newer pioneers to stick in there

edit: gah, photobucket is being gay!

• Like 1