Ed's vintage Pioneer car audio projects

0R10N

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. Knowing Pick a Part it probably wouldn't have cost any more than $50 for all of those bits.

I'm slowly inventorizing all of my existing gear, so far I've discovered that I have somehow amassed lots and lots of KP-707Gs and GM-4s.

x2. This shit is so sweet.

Ed, would you consider doing aux retrofits for beer money at any point?

Need to get rid of this newfangled sony thing sitting in the centre console eventually.

Or sell off unwanted units, you know where to find me.

I suppose if anyone from OS has an old headunit they want inspected, feel free to chuck it my way and I'll see what I can do with it.

All care no responsibility though as there aren't really any reliable pinouts or circuit diagrams for a lot of the older stuff now, but the last thing I want is for your headunit to explode in a cloud of smoke!

Should have a better rig set up on the bench by Xmas for testing too. The Sanyo I posted above will be up for grabs shortly.

• Like 1

How do you get these CBs tuned for NZ frequencies ? I have to sort this JX-1 before installation.

There is a guy in south auckland, its around $35, I would have to look up his contact details, look up def pom  raido mods on google I think he dose it to

• 3 weeks later...

You can still pick up cool stuff for a dollar if you look hard enough:

11046244563_7feedc1158_z.jpg

That's one pair of Pioneer TS-M2 "Tune-Up" speakers, one pair of Pioneer TS-692 6x9s with grilles, and one pair of Pioneer vintage 4" covers, all intact and tested as working on my bench, all for the princely sum of one dollar.

4" covers are nearly identical to the ones I pulled out of the Rx-7 a year ago but are in much better condition, and also come with sandwich plates that allow you to safely attach them to either side of your interior trim without any danger of the panels losing their shape (as most of them were made from flimsy particle/cardboard back in those days).

The grilles on the TS-692s are nothing short of classy, and quite difficult to find now. Cones are paper, but still sound fine after all these years (from what I can tell they were first released in 1979).

11046190804_1ee032f9eb_z.jpg

Amazingly, this model continued to be sold right up until the early 2000s with differing power outputs - see this eBay link.

11046154986_619fbee01e_z.jpg

I'm not sure what to think of the TS-M2s; file under "gimmicky late '70s/early '80s gear for someone with too much money", I guess. They're supposed to enhance midrange response - as well as something Pioneer refers to as "brilliant hights" (sic), which is sort of pointless as the biggest shortcoming of audio equipment during this era was a lack of bass more than anything else!

11046156626_a687586bfe_z.jpg

Still, points for trying, Pioneer. Click the photo for a high-res view of the text and diagrams on the back of the box.

11046250003_aa72d690ae_z.jpg

Finally, I'd been keeping an eye on this old KEH-9000 headunit but (not surprisingly) it sold for slightly more than I thought was reasonable. Hope it went to a good home.

292557748.jpg

I snatched the tape deck. I was waiting for something that would be period correct for my Carina to replace my semi faulty standard ones and had to buy this. Hopefully it works. Also added some Beastie Boys to my cassette library.

Any idea what would cause it to jam as mentioned in the listing? I was planning on partially disassembling it and spraying some contact cleaner in there and maybe apply some silicon grease to the mechanics.

Sweet, hope it works out for you :)

The jamming could be caused by a number of things, quite possibly the tape eject mechanism, or a faulty head retract. I've also seen some decks where the internals (e.g. belts, springs, sprockets, etc) have disintegrated due to age and lodged themselves in random places.

If you're gonna open the deck up, CO cleaner and grease sounds like a good idea. Also check the condition of the drive belts while you're in there, chances are they've dried up, snapped, or even worse, partially melted and fused themselves to other things...

Yea I replaced the belts on my original ones and they stretch as well which can distort the sound. So I'll replace that as well if it's not too difficult. This will also free up some realestate for my single din omori gauge holder thing.

Yeah they were all speaker wires on the amp that the plug came from.

But that's not the factory plug for the amp in the pic, it's just a plug that fits the amp :)

I know there is an earth and full time +, switched +, illumination circuit + (?? not sure why an amp needs to be hooked up to the lights??) I just don't know which pin is which.