Japaneses Diesel cars running on New Zealand Diesel?

curtains

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cams correct our local crude is so lush that we sell it off and buy in cheap sub par sludge

and refine that for the locals,

ships basically backload crap oil to us and take away our lush stuff.

diesel vehicles in hawaii probably would be around 30% of the total not too dissimilar to here.

I imagine the addition of any type of alcohol would both increase the risk of pre-ignition but also displace some of the hydrocarbons causing our soot.

right after a few differnt pages of reading. biodiesel does not actually have ethenol as such in it , but a compound made from ethanol (and methanol ) .

there we go then . i stand partially corrected .

biodiesel is also hydroscopic due to alcohol related ester that emulsify water into the diesel , or something like that

neat . so instead of it falling out of suspension it makes its way to the pump and injectors

hrmmm

any way... just buy a new 3L hiace. Iv got one and it goes HARD. tourqey as! revs out nice. its just got power right through the revs.

some other new diesels iv driven are very revvy with little torque where is matters aka nissan stx. cant recommend the hiace enough.

i got a 2007 model about a year ago from a toyota dealer, signature class. i have 5 years left on my warrantee.

Nah it was pretty shitty advise.

I read an article awhile ago about BMW (I think) not releasing their latest diesel models in NZ due to the substandard fuel, and the one they did finally release was basically an NZ only version that had an older model engine in it.

From what I've heard Gull sells the best quality diesel. Would like some confirmation on this, but they are the cheapest.

BMW NZ (as do most of the other European makers) have the same diesel engine options as offered in the European and Australian markets - as far as I know the diesel BMWs sold new in NZ don't have the old technology engines.

That was the case with a model 15 years ago so it must have been an old publication. These days we get mostly the same models.

Can not help with vans. Have always had petrol.

I imagine the addition of any type of alcohol would both increase the risk of pre-ignition but also displace some of the hydrocarbons causing our soot.

Ethanol has a higher octane rating that both hexane and octane, but as long as the RON number is the same there will be no difference to the pre-ignition properties. Ethanol does have a slightly lower specific power however, so you get slightly less energy per litre released. As stated before, biodiesel does NOT contain ethanol, but other stuff made by algae and things.

While we are on the topic of diesel. My mate dangerous Dave runs a couple of liters of petrol through his Hilux every few months, reconds it cleanes her out. Thoughts on this?

Ah yeah, 1 or 2L to a full tank of diesel probably wouldnt even be noticeable. I thought you meant something like a 50/50 mix. I hear petrol shags the common rail pumps pretty quickly tho.

^^ no offense yowzer but that's not really good advice.

Moisture and impurities in the fuel are causing issues the world over - not just in NZ. NZ's diesel has been cleaned up significantly with the introduction of low-sulfur diesels too, bringing it into line with European standards. As Japan doesn't have such high emission standards on diesel engines, Japan is still running a higher sulfur content fuel and therefore the older Japanese diesels did not cope so well with worn out or semi-worn out seals suddenly not being lubricated so well with low-sulfur fuel. Newer common rail models from Japan are fine with low-sulfur fuel.

I remember when this happened. I lost count of the number of injector pumps I attended to in one summer. Toyota ones weren't so bad and you could do them while still in the truck (only a few seals). A few nissans needed the pump pulled and sent away for a rebuild.

I wouldn't put any amount of petrol in my diesel tank. I would, however, run a little 2stroke oil in the mix to aid lubrication of the fuel gear in an older style-non commonrail vehicle.

injector cleaners are snake oil for the most part IMO. if a diesel engine is run with good hot runs and driven and service correctly an injector cleaner wont do shit.

if injector pumps are being damaged by diesel, then it is either bypassing the filters, or the filtration media is too coarse. If your vehicle filter is rated for the engine as an OEM part should be, then you should not have any problems. aftermarket filters such as Ryco or similar may resemble the original part in every way except for filtration level, and may in fact be allowing crap through, causing the problem.

petrol didn't hurt old mans 3L hiace with over 500k on it,

he inadvertantly lent it to some woman and they slammed 5-10litres they claim in it before realising and brimming it with diesel,

he also did it himself on two occasions after he just got it,

we drained the tank the time i was with him but the 60litres was no good for the mower/water blaster etc so he just slammed 5litres a fill back in till it was gone.

Would be mean if the government just said nah fuck it lets practice what we preach and supply some clean green fuel, upscaling emmissions controls just gives car dealers a woody,

improving our fuel would be beneficial to everyone

had that happen to the old lady last xmas . was going all hysterical after putting 10l of petrol in , told her to chill as the 40l of diesel would dialute it enough and keep her going till next service station

that story sounded way better in my head

if injector pumps are being damaged by diesel, then it is either bypassing the filters, or the filtration media is too coarse. If your vehicle filter is rated for the engine as an OEM part should be, then you should not have any problems. aftermarket filters such as Ryco or similar may resemble the original part in every way except for filtration level, and may in fact be allowing crap through, causing the problem.

The clearances on the new HPCR injectors are down in the 2 - 3 micron range. You will not remove particles of this size effectivly with a paper celulose filter element. All of the OEM's are well aware of the issues with these new tier 4 engines and are busy writing disclaimers about the fuel going into the tank. Basically the filters often fitted by the OEM will remove particulate but they are limted therefore the fuel going into the vehicle needs to be very "clean" and the onboard filters will handle the last step. For what ever reason, toyotas seem to have been hit the hardest by this. IMO there is nothing wrong with our diesel fuel supply but we typically have poor dispencing systems ie. old storage tanks.