Diesel bug

DodgySam

Do you know where it came from?

You will need to drain the tank, remove it, steam clean the shit out of it with hot soapy water and let it dry (cut it open if you don't feel you're getting it all).

Then take the filters out and blow compressed air down the lines and out the tank end. If you can get soapy water down there do that too but make sure they are dry after.

Replace all the filters (the filters should have stopped it getting into the pump).

If you don't know where it came from you probably want to run some sort of anti bug killing stuff for a bit.

Also check that there is not water leaking into your tank through the filler or breathers. The bug actually lives in the water.

Sometimes it's a good idea to pull the bung out of the tank when it's near empty. That will get rid of any water as it sits at the bottom.

that^^

it usually gets in the fuel tank and chassis filter (water trap) not normally the engine filter.

However you need to pull off any offending parts and clean the shit out of them with hot soapy water

starts in the bottom of the fuel tank and generally stays there unless the water level in the tank gets high and the pickup chows some water.

i hate the stuff soo much it lives on the water-fuel

its an algae as far as im aware .

and yup there are diesel bug killer products out there but it wont really do shit if you can see the bug

they block up the filter and starve the engine of fuel

Once the initial shit is cleared out then the key thing is to find out where it came from? Most infectious dieseases originate from Hamilton so have you filled up there lately? LOLOLOLOL

Actually forreal - if you have a regular diesel watering hole - you should let them know..

Also run diesel bug killer for 6 months after you get rid of the bug initially.

This interests me more than it should

The bugs form a biofilm, which for all intents and purposes will then be there forever (issue with surgical implants, as even autoclaving isnt guaranteed to kill it all, i.e why house hold sprays say kills 99.9% of bacteria)

The layers of bacteria, yeasts, algae etc generally work together. aerobic will be on top, anerobes will be deeper in the layer.

Now heres the neeto part - throw some poison on them, it may get some of the first layer, but as they die they will send out signals which tell the surrounding layers to shut up shop/start producing compounds to break down the toxins, or to form spores (the0.01% you will have a near impossible job of killing)

As a biotechnologist my advice is; remove one of these

carbon for food (cant do it, your fuel is hydrocarbons)

oxygen and sulphur for respiration (not practical)

trace elements for growth and propagation (perhaps, the main one would be iron, which unless you have plastic tanks you are shit outta luck)

dissolved water for germination - this, watertraps and perhaps a cup of meths in the tank to bind up any free water

that was my sweeping generalizations of biofilms

typically* (im aware some was altered in a lab) algae will not grow in the dark as they cant photosynthesize

Cyannobacteria can (and of course all the others)

edit* however algae may be an issue depending on how you store your fuel. im thinking those white containers or boat fuel tanks would be no good

hrmmm...I forgot I made this thread.

You cunts are knowledgeable.

Must have a look and find these water traps you speak of.

When John CXGPWR had a look the fuel filter was blocked solid with bug snot.

Was just wondering as Id like to not have to deal with it again but that sounds like its not possible.

Will just have to be more regular with my servicing.

Just found where 1 of my oil leaks was coming from too...seems oil filter had started to spin off...doh!