Diesel bug

DodgySam

we got it in a brand new tractor and it did some damage to the common rail department dont like water or any thing other than clean diesel. they got some shit to put in with the fuel and it fixed it.

Alot of people/workshops are blamming bug for the failure of new high pressure common rail injectors when its often actually just particulate contamination and the OEM filters are just not up to it but thats a topic all on its own.

Would a flush of methanol through the system kill the bug?

will try and find out from grotty this weekend if I see him

he has porbabaly already forgotten he even posted.

i did forget! its a biocide diesel product, about 7 ml will treat 40ltrs and kill all the bug, will do 10ml for 10bucks if anyone wants some.

then run a bottle of MOREYS DIESEL SMOKE KILLER (read instructions), you'll be sweet, may have to change fuel filter twice, depending on how bad ya got it. Morey's prevents it coming back, good bang for buck.

we got it in a brand new tractor and it did some damage to the common rail department dont like water or any thing other than clean diesel. they got some shit to put in with the fuel and it fixed it.

Alot of people/workshops are blamming bug for the failure of new high pressure common rail injectors when its often actually just particulate contamination and the OEM filters are just not up to it but thats a topic all on its own.

Would a flush of methanol through the system kill the bug?

You're right there.

Most commonly, diesel is filtered down to 25 Microns at point of use - i.e. at the pump. I understand that modern common rail systems are getting down to tolerances of less than 5 microns, and will require filtration down to 3 microns absolute.

This will be the reason newer systems will fail in the near future, until filters at the pumps are upgraded along with industry practice.

Biological growths in fuels normally grow in the layer between the water and the fuel, feeding off the hydrocarbons (fuel) and getting their oxygen from the water. Fuels such as diesel or kerosene may have entrained water in solution, meaning that the water is in effect, suspended in the fuel in tiny droplets, further aggravating the problem. It is very difficult to prevent diesel bug as you will not know it is getting into your tank until it is too late. My advice will be to try to go for the higher turnover petrol stations, as these are less likely to have biological growths in their fuel due to the high turnover of product.

There are a few products available on the market, and each varies in how it is used and how effective they actually are. The best you can do is treat it and hope for the best. adding water traps will do nothing for the diesel bug as you are seperating the fuel/water mixture after the tank, which is where the bulk of the growth is actually present. all it will do is prevent water from entering your injector pump, and most filters contain some sort of water drain facility anyway.