1978 mazda 323 nana hatch build

corey_jorg

*like*

pleased to see the OG wheels appear after seeing it on those late alloys

yea glad i decided i went down this route. cost as much as buying another set of 17s tho. elite wheels ended up charging a fortune to make them and was risky chopping up such "expensive" rx3 steelies. now just waiting for my tyres and its set. i love the work style wheels also but keeping away from the japanese theme so much since she was built in nz and keeping a "stock" sort of theme going.

• 2 weeks later...
Love it!

Jealous how mazda owners always seem to have an abundance of NOS parts

yea but its taken me along time to get this far. ive only owned this shell since march last year but the origional sheel was a 2door whaletail wagon which i brough 4 years ago (now is going to be cut up into a trailer to tow behind this and for show) and the money side of it is huge.

owes me just shy of 32 grand. ontop is paint (panel is done) exhaust, wiring, driveshaft, fuel setup, all plumbing and then tuning and maybe a rebuild depending on what the motors like. but in saying that i set out with intentions of being "one better" and "different" and always said once its finished i will keep it for good.

when i started this build i wanted the hatch to look as nana as possible. that when it sits in the carpark people are going to admire it for how origional/clean and tidy it is. with all the add on parts that my grandparents wouldve gotten back then. and then when its started up it sets of every car alarm in 3 blocks and takes over your heart beat, gets everyones attention.

but then recently i have started to like the mild "boso" sort of themes and thought my hatch would look good with small 13s and small tyres in the guards (also makes it lower).

i wanted to keep it NZ themed; as it was made in nz, so got my custom steelies made and looked around for nz badges rather than jaf etc. hella flush is just describing how tight it will be with wide wheels in origional guards, hilux diff which is alot longer than stardand. and i would prefer to have it tight so the tyres may rub than being able to stuff your hand between the tyre and guard as your gotten the wrong offset.

noone be a hater, im just daring to be different and doing it right.

• 6 months later...

Yep I agree with others. When I saw it on the big gay wheels I thought.. 'yawn- another nice old car ruined by the ozzy/nz big wheel thing. It'll have a common as metallic paint job next...'

Looks really good on the small wheels and the colour choice is superb. Me likey. Please don't put a roof rack on it.

Nice car and I like the cowshit green.

In my opinion you're kidding yourself trying to get 20g for it though. The amount of money spent on a vehicle can only raise its asking price by so much. But thats just my opinion of course. I might get some mazda steels widened myself. Would be nice if I could get them in 14"

Nice car and I like the cowshit green.

In my opinion you're kidding yourself trying to get 20g for it though. The amount of money spent on a vehicle can only raise its asking price by so much. But thats just my opinion of course. I might get some mazda steels widened myself. Would be nice if I could get them in 14"

yea will wait and see. have a couple people who are interested but will see if i want to sell it after my first drive. r100 and mazda 626 steelies are 14inch.