Removing sound deadening boards

Ridal

My heater core broke so I pulled the dash out. I pulled a bit of the carpet up and found the sound deadening in board form so I want to remove it - it looks heavy. Has anyone come across this type before? Any tips on removal? It seems to be stuck down quite well but I haven't yet had a good go at them.

Looks like:

IMAG0197.jpg

Also, does the rubber/fibre mat on the firewall serve any other function than sound insulation?

Any tips are appreciated.

Me and Tim smashed the sound deadening outta my ta23 with a hammer - most of it was that tar stuff, the firewall bits were like a fibre mixed with tar and harder to get off.

On his 240z he had to use a heat gun and scrape that shit out cos it was still softish from 41 years ago!! It left heaps of residue, which will need wire-brushing off.

I'd recommend either dry icing it or if you're cheap you could always get a bunch of chilly-bin spec Ice-bags and lay them all over it / whack it with a hammer!

As has been mentioned, dry ice is ya best bet. Just to add to that, Iv done a number of cars with it now, and found the best method is to divide the dry ice up into 4 or 5 plastic shopping bags, rather than just spread it all over the floor. Particularly in your case, as it means you can hang the shopping bags on the firewall to chill it, something which is pretty hard to do with loose pallets..

Yea dry ice for that stuff, have done it many times with a scraper/chisel only to wish I went and got some dry ice.

Why do you want to remove it? the stuff on the firewall keeps out allot of heat as-well as sound. I'd leave it be unless you are hunting rust or its a go fast car

^I want to go fast. Got the dry ice and went at it. The dry ice sublimed away but I still had the tunnel to do and I found out it was just as easy if not easier to get off without the dry ice. I could get really big bits off because it wasn't so brittle. So far I have removed 12kg and have the boot to go. So I guess the deadening + carpet will be around 20kg.

That stuff is so thick, I managed to pull most of it off by unpeeling it off at one corner, and just rolled up into a... roll when it unstuck off the floor. Hah. (On a hot day)

Thinner stuff is definitely total win to do it on a cold day with an air powered chisel, smashes the shit out of it in big slabs.