how to make a hollow fibreglass cube.

karmagedon

Hey there chaps. I'm interested in making a large single shape from fibreglass or the likes. Ideally I don't want to cut the outer skin in order to remove the mold. Is there any method of making fibreglass products in a similar manner to the lost wax casting method? where I can burn or melt the mold?

-make a split mould from steel

-hook up to concrete mixer motor above a fire

-fill mould with plastic pellets

-light fire

-start motor

-???

-profit

/Gizz more details on what you are making

I've got an idea for a computer case that I have been wanting to try for ages. Was going to make it from panel steel, but I think fibreglass/carbon may be easier to produce the shape in. The shape being some form of gundam-esque model.

Make the mould in polystyrene then use petrol/acetone to melt it out once you are finished

Will the resin not melt the polystyrene aswell?

i feel semi qualified to answer a few of these questions/make suggestions here having worked for a company who make their own prototype molds for holden etc and does rotational molding as well.

the way we did it with the polystyrene is you need to cover it in a simple varnish/sealant (can't remember the product we used sorry) that will separate the resin. or yes it will end up eating through it. polystyrene is a awesome medium to use for mold making. consider using a CNC mill to get the shape if you are after something awesome (we made a 10mx10m scale map of a guys farm on the CNC :P)

another foam that is quite similar and easy to make molds with is insulation foam. commonly known as blue or green foam its quite high density (compared to polystyrene) but still easy to shape using a rasp or a mouse sounder thingy (the ones that make you chortle cause they sound like a vibrator on P)

also i would suggest rotational molding. its soo simple all you need is a rotatory device. a bbq with a roticery in function would be perfect. material is cheap as chips ($4/kg but i could probably get some regrind for next to nothing. only downside is its not UV stabilized) and it is real easy to make a sheetmetal mold like brock-lee suggested. put a few tabs where it joins and clamp it together using a few G-clamps. needs to be cooked at about 230deg for anywhere between 10-20min (depending on size and wall thickness you are after)

its a really easy process and suited to one off parts or production runs, depending on how difficult the mold is to make.

Ideally I don't want to cut the outer skin in order to remove the mold

If it is to be a computer case won't you need a removable side anyway? How does computer get inside.

Rotational moulding is what you want

I still want to know the answer to this

Ideally I don't want to cut the outer skin in order to remove the mold

If it is to be a computer case won't you need a removable side anyway? How does computer get inside.

Rotational moulding is what you want

I still want to know the answer to this

Valid question I suppose. The main housing will have an opening (no magic involved), however there will be cavities that go unused aswell, and those are the areas I do not want to cut open. Not actually making a cube, but it was the easiest example to get an answer for.

I didnt read the whole thread, but here are a few methods I've used that work great.

- wood. (results in wood being side afterwards)

- polystyrene - petrol will melt this out afterwards not sure how you would join the pieces but there must be a method.

- expandable foam, can make some AWESOME shapes with this, not sure what this will melt with, but there will be something.