Truning down boost for economy READ BEFORE JUDGING THE TITLE

wickmyster

I am just wondering what I should turn my boost down to in my jza70 supra (Auto atm :(..) to get it running as economically as possible saving gas and fines :D I am going to get an electronic boost controller with a switch to flick between standard boost and low boost, so I have the power when want it.

Is there a formula to follow, I want my boost setting to equal about a N/A with 11:1 compression ratio, so to make about 200ph down from the 280+

It is my everyday driver, and being an auto, it is hard to stop it coming into boost. So please no comments about self control.

I think even with electronic control there is a minimum that you can actually turn the boost down before you are relying only on the wastegate spring tension. Usually this is around the 5-7PSI mark, and then increasing the boost from there involves the solenoid bypassing / bleeding off air to the wastegate actuator.

So unplug the solenoid and see what it boosts at?

I might be wrong though. Have had jack all dealings with modern turbo engines.

Drill a hole through the floor under the gas pedal and put a bolt through it.

That'll fix it good

2511327807_d7db925585.jpg

This

slash driving style. more power boost etc. does not neccesarily = terrible fuel economy. because you have plenty of power you only need to apply it in short steady bursts to go up hills and the like and can coast alot more than a vehicle of the same weight but with a less powerful engine.

basically if driven smoothly with as little and as smooth throttle appication as possible fuel use is more mostly proportional to load, i.e. weight and drag (aero) rather than engine size/power/turbos.

so take any heavy stuff out of your car that you can and drive slower. if your using full throttle a bunch at 5psi or 10psi your going to use a heap of fuel in either case, as at 5psi your going to be on the throttle longer.

The bulk of your fuel consumption is going to be determined by your low rpm, low load efficiency of the engine.

Altering the boost settings changes the mid/high rpm, high load operation of engine operation.

It's like buying padded running shoes so you dont get sore feet while sitting on the couch. :)

Yah decreasing poost will do nothing to the engines efficiency. All you are doing is limiting its power.

However if you were to also up the compression and tweak the fuelling you could potentially increase its efficiency and make it more economical.

But that's not really feasible.