Opel Vectra Track Car

mikuni

With the motor now running, it was time to look back to getting it rolling, along with fitting some important pieces of equipment.

DSC00805.jpg

Got the lights back in and running, along with bumper and grill back on.

DSC00810.jpg

This still left a lot to do, including sorting the rear suspension, mounting the harness, securing the back windscreen, tidying up the wiring etc.

For the rear suspension, I was left in a difficult situation because I wanted it very low, but have only these springs to work with.

DSC00831-1.jpg

Cutting either end means they won't locate on the eye at the top or bottom and will subsequently fall out, so this was not an option. Instead I decided to find the smallest diameter coils I could find and cut them.

DSC00811.jpg

As per Romans recent thread regarding cutting springs for coilover use, I went with Honda Civic springs and picked these up from a scrap bin for a small fee.

They came compressed in the shocks, which introduces a small issue that anyone who has undone coil over shocks before will understand. Now getting the springs out can be quite dangerous, so it is very important to use the correct tool for the job.

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

Once I had the shocks secure in my custom press, I loosened the top bolt and out the springs came. All limbs intact.

DSC00817.jpg

Now that the springs were out I began cutting them down to size. I did this in several stages to get it just right, ending with this..

DSC00818.jpg

:lol:

..which was a little less spring than I wanted and resulted in a spring rate over 12kg/mm in the rear.

I ordered some shocks to suit after measuring everything up and the closest I could get were Gemini fronts, which will offer a slightly firmer valving than the original Vectra items. Unfortunately these didn't arrive until Thursday, meaning the cars first drive was down to get a wheel alignment, missing a front number plate, seat belts and with dummied up shocks in the rear that did nothing. Due to a failure on my part, I also only had reverse, 1st, 3rd and 5th :lol: I had to rush to get down there by 5pm.

Luckily for me, an absolute GC tyre dude works just down the road from me on Maui St. He was happy to play around with the car after hours and charges very reasonable rates. Highly recommend Tyre World Te Rapa for tyre fitting, wheel alignments and other similar services.

DSC00825-1.jpg

From there, it was another late night to get things finished off, rebleed the brakes (which dumped fluid from an unknown source on first drive) and tidy up a few other loose ends to make sure it was worth dragging it all the way down to Taupo.

DSC00826-1.jpg

Turned out it was, and I had an absolute ball down there, despite a few issues both on track and off.

DSC00827-1.jpg

DSC00828-1.jpg

Sorry again to Wez, Matt and the others who had to clean up the resultant mess. Also to those who missed out on track time because of it.

Car went quite well on track, but it quite knife edge with the lack of travel in the rear and I ended up spinning out a number of times when I didn't think I was pushing it that hard.

The inside is quite a nice place to be. Well, nice may not be the best word for it, fun is probably a better one.

DSC00836.jpg

DSC00835.jpg

DSC00833.jpg

Steering wheel right up in your line of sight, sitting very low down in the car, held in by a full 6 point harness, it definitely has the real racecar feel to it. Especially so when out on track the factory standard and extremely quiet exhaust broke off at a flange, resulting in a very loud engine note, straight from the headers.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New motor go alright?

It did actually. I heard it running before I bought it, so just took a while to come right after sitting for 6 months. Slow compared to my old Chevette though.

I'm stoked so many people can see where I'm going with this and the concept behind it. And that people are keen to build cheap 90's track toys. Honestly, these are the way of the future - smash the guards up, break windows and not care, drill holes and cut pieces out without worrying about what a "purist" would think. Don't bother turning rare old cars into race cars, lets just all get fail 90's mobiles.

Wheels look rather large but I spose that's part of the deal, will look choice a bit lower imo.

Agreed and agreed. It is practically on bumpstops all round but the stupid size of the wheels makes it look high. When I had it on 14's it was almost on the ground.

Next steps will probably be polycarb windows, cage, then new suspension setup + start chopping lots of stuff up :D

looked pretty sweet at the track. didnt really get to see it run due to my lateness unfortunately.

so many P10's being parted out on trademe. getting a shell some one has ripped interior out of for cheaps would be so do able.

as you say the idea of something you can thrash and just not care so much about is very appealing.

so many P10's being parted out on trademe. getting a shell some one has ripped interior out of for cheaps would be so do able.

as you say the idea of something you can thrash and just not care so much about is very appealing.

exactly man. next time I get it to the track I'd be keen to give a few people who are thinking of doing something similar a drive. it is stupidly fun, but the whole FWD thing is very hard to get your head around and I imagine some people wouldn't be keen on it after having a blast.

I was going to let a few people drive it on Friday but it was too deadly :lol: picture someone sitting next to you who likes to randomly pull the handbrake up unexpectedly mid-corner.

exactly man. next time I get it to the track I'd be keen to give a few people who are thinking of doing something similar a drive. it is stupidly fun, but the whole FWD thing is very hard to get your head around and I imagine some people wouldn't be keen on it after having a blast.

I was going to let a few people drive it on Friday but it was too deadly :lol: picture someone sitting next to you who likes to randomly pull the handbrake up unexpectedly mid-corner.

i dont think FWD is going to be that bad. i guess it wont be every ones cuppa tea. but then i'll still have a C110 to make up for it in my case. have you got an LSD in this thing?

need a bit more suspension travel in it do you?

i dont think FWD is going to be that bad. i guess it wont be every ones cuppa tea. but then i'll still have a C110 to make up for it in my case.

It's not too bad at all, I like it. Just takes a bit of getting used to and like I say, I don't think it's for everyone - go to hot into a corner and you're pretty much fucked in a FWD, in a RWD you just give it a bit more shit and induce a slide to get it back. Easier said than done, but you get the drift.

have you got an LSD in this thing?

No LSD yet, will sort something from quaife in time but at the moment inside wheel spin isn't the biggest issue, its the lift of oversteer and rear wheels locking under brakes. A bias valve will sort it a little because with so little weight in the rear it has a natural tendency to lock the rear, plus firming up the front springs should help balance things a bit.

i dont think FWD is going to be that bad. i guess it wont be every ones cuppa tea. but then i'll still have a C110 to make up for it in my case.

It's not too bad at all, I like it. Just takes a bit of getting used to and like I say, I don't think it's for everyone - go to hot into a corner and you're pretty much fucked in a FWD, in a RWD you just give it a bit more shit and induce a slide to get it back. Easier said than done, but you get the drift.

have you got an LSD in this thing?

No LSD yet, will sort something from quaife in time but at the moment inside wheel spin isn't the biggest issue, its the lift of oversteer and rear wheels locking under brakes. A bias valve will sort it a little because with so little weight in the rear it has a natural tendency to lock the rear, plus firming up the front springs should help balance things a bit.

ahh yeh fair call, never thought about the minimal amount of weight in the rear. putting the cage in might help some what as alot of the bars will be mid to rear in the car. plus move the battery. thought about maybe extending the steering column and moving your self a bit further back also? or atleast leaving room in the cage to do so at a later point in time when refinement is needed. your some what very limited in what you can move as there is not alot left haha.

I approve. Will be fun once its got some decent suspension in it. Even with stock motor you'll have a blast

someone needs to do a p10 with a sr20ve

plenty have been done over on the primera car club forums. sr20ve , justys and semi slicks and your pretty hard to catch if u know how to drive

ahh yeh fair call, never thought about the minimal amount of weight in the rear. putting the cage in might help some what as alot of the bars will be mid to rear in the car. plus move the battery. thought about maybe extending the steering column and moving your self a bit further back also? or atleast leaving room in the cage to do so at a later point in time when refinement is needed. your some what very limited in what you can move as there is not alot left haha.

Cage doesn't weigh too much, and I want to keep the total weight as low as possible. Ideally by the time I get the cage I hope to neutralize it's weight by removing other things, like interior steel (door inners, parcel shelf) and glass (it has started removing itself already).

The battery is already a small alarm battery, which is one possibility as the cause of my starting issues. I will probably move it back behind passenger seat once I find some flexible aluminium cable because copper defeats the purpose as its so heavy.

And I've already moved the seating position back about 6 inches and down as low as I can go at the moment (see seat rail original position in pic below). I can't see the bonnet or even the base of the windscreen from my seating position, and my head is inline with the B pillar. Plus I have moved it more towards the centre of the car, with more to come. I'm going to move the seating position further back once I put in a flat floor so its easier to bolt and brace the seat in.

DSC00836.jpg

I really love all this touring car crap, weight distribution and stuff.