azzurro's 1969 FIAT 125 discussion

azzurro

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe? basically need to replace the dizzy with something non-dizzy

cam mount will clash with brake booster, there is no block mount hole (or oil pump shaft to drive it), current possition will be in firewall, and nicks solution, well i probably will mess it up.

and hoping EDIS might be the go, if i can make it as 'dumb' as possible (no advance) as the Microplex will handle the advance.

Essentially a dizzy but firing the sparkplugs off a crank trigger wheel instead of a rotor in a cap - maybe COPs?

All sugestions welcomed, this fancy electronic stuff is all new to me!

evlone said on t-124: "if its magneti marelli microplex as you say it is they are run a full 3d map of the rpm and crank sensor and vacuum and all the advance is done in the ecu same as uno turbo 130 tc etc distributor does nothing but send spark down the plug leads as it swings past "

"microplex is full 3d map ecu decides on advance based on rpm versus crank position and engine load based on vacuum and boost"

what I'm  getting at is i have no idea if the signal from the microplex is compatible with the input the edis is expecting. you will need 2 crank triggers too as the edis needs its vr sensor input to pretend to be a distributor and the microplex uses flywheel teeth or something I think? will continue over on t124.

yes, i was awake pondering this last night.

Mircroplex (ignition) &/or Jetronic (Injection) doesnt need dizzy for signals, but does need 2 tooth crank wheel (crank position) and pulse from coil (RPM).

However the engine does needs spark - either from dizzy (which dont fit) or some alternative - edis needs 36:1 trigger wheel (already have 2 tooth for Microplex and Jetronic in way).

I thought maybe mounting two wheels (one front one back?) might work, but unsure of practicality

May just copy Nick (which is a good strategy i suspect!) to keep 100% OEM management withonly packaging to worry about or go fully Link or Mega-thing or whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just piss it all off and use a microsquirt for everything??

U MAD BRO!

I dunno man, stop hassling me. I probably will, but all this electronic shit is new to me.

I mean, calibrated orifices and weights on springs is pretty simple. 2x computers, 10x sensors, and 100x wires to do the same thing (but better, i know)  just doesnt seem as elegant somehow.

OTH,

TURBO!!!

I got a new slave cylinder for $30, with a parts order for the dailies, but masters are like $120 if they are instock.

So to 'save' me $98 i drove 50km round trip to PaP Takanini, spent 3/4 of a sunny Saturday in the greasy mud and got one from a wet and smelly Uno for $22.

Hopefully next weekend should be able to test if the boost guage works on my private test track.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey man, when you say the clutch isn't blead what exactly are the symptoms? Does the clutch pedal feel right or not? It could be that the clutch plate has siezed to the flywheel, cranking it in top with you foot on the clutch will usually break that free.

clutch pedal feel is very soft and stays on the floor, but shifts the slave about 5-10mm (which is about the same as my corolla), and im pretty sure the hydralics are working as intended - they just have no resistance to push against

I can move the clutch arm (that the slave pushes on) with my fingers about 20mm without resistance (cant budge the rolla's one at all) so im thinking rookie & ky may be onto some sort of 'inside the bellhousing' problem.

the clutch is effectively stuck 'on' (off?) and wont disengage.

Ill move it to the driveway (which is level) and give it another bleed/rock in gear before giving up and dropping the subframe/engine out and binning the rest.

• 1 month later...

Im removing the box next time after that day of struggle, :mrgreen:

Good that you got the tunnel sorted. I have another idea for a removable cap that we can maybe do when the turbo happens.

I am eager to experience 2000cc of fiat powah!!

FYI: Those grinding sparks only appear to be fucking the windscreen. They were actually flying straight out the open door i was standing in after i quickly snapped that pic ;)

I also learnt that oil dripping from a gearbox while lying under a car takes along time to soak through 4 layers of clothing. And by the time you feel the coldness on your nipple you have a lot of oil on you and each layer of clothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Golly, that does sound good at full noise through the tunnel.

Those sidies drink gas like crazy huh! I noticed on the motor way cruising with RPMs above 3 and half they chug back the petrol just as much as doorting everywhere. Anything under that and they are alright.

Good fun though! Keep up the good work.

cheers fullas,

to say im happy with the conversion is an understatement.

i think my old engine must have been pretty bung, cause this engine is not the expected >20% better but like 100x better.

Sideys are absolutely glorious on song, but sound good burbling around, and the engine pulls well from low revs too which was unexpected, but welcome.

Off throttle or cruising the car is smooth and quiet, tap the go pedal and you sure know they are there.

5th gear is just a bonus, but the box feels much more solid than the old 4 speed too.

Even the mrs reckons its made the car much better, and i think she might not just be saying that :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Loving the tunnel vid, just wondering if there is anything fancy with your exhaust system, sounds pretty civilised?
Are you willing to part with any engine bits? I've gone and busted my oil filter casting, if I can't fix it i'll be looking for another.

yeah, exhaust has two mufflers, one big one small - big one is not straight through (and taps on the driveshaft sometimes) will replace with bits from croma soon.

has good induction noise tho!

stink about the housing, i dont think i have a spare, as i swapped the one off my 1608 to the 1995cc, will have to have a lookey.