Keltik's 02 Subaru Wagon

keltik

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New box has been ordered. Got an even newer one coming this time from Strong. They have never let me down before and ive spent a few k with them - so hopefully this is the last swap i have to do for quite some time. Got all new gear linkages and shifter coming as well. Up to this point ive been running the shifter from a '94-'98 shape Legacy and it doesnt quite fit as good as it should.

Even bought a pair of axle stands which will make the job approximately 452.46 times easier.

So there goes my Saturday afternoon/Sunday. If your reading this VG - I'll take another gallon of Elf 80w90 off your hands please.

Gearbox issues are now sorted! Slammed the new box in with waimaks this afternoon. Took us 3 hours to do the swap and everything went smoothly. The new gear linkage is smooth and very nice to use compared to the old clunky one. It feels like a normal car to drive again.

Every gear has a good synchro, reverse is a million times quieter and it doesnt pop out of ANY gear. Not even 3rd! Its also got longer ratios than the box it replaced so it suits the motor a lot better. 100kph cruising is now around 2600rpm instead of 3100. Most excellent.

Next job is new rack ends, a good clean, refit the undertray, replace one hose which is weeping coolant then hit the track at nats and try break it again.

So to summarise.... FUCK YOU PARTSWORLD, THANK YOU STRONG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did first oil change last week and got some crap out of it. Ran a load of crankcase cleaner through and dumped in some slightly thicker oil. Up to a 10w40 from a 5w30. Oil usage has slowed a lot since its thrash around Taupo at nats and has slowed even further on the new viscosity.

Also did the fuel filter which was full of shit and got my new tie rods and brakes all sorted. Replaced my dodgy coolant hoses and refitted the undertray so everything is pretty well finished.

Due for another set of tires at the end of the year but until then it should just be boring daily service. Got a track day in September im attending at Taupo where the full back straight will be in use - cant wait to wind it past 200.

forgot to say I saw you giving it the beans away form an intersection in Ashvegas last weekend.

grin, I did.

Did i have 5 tonne of volvo hanging off the back? Failed to see you so gangsigns were not produced :(

Assume you mean the Cambridge road stop sign? Had to give it beans or risk sitting there for a year.

• 11 months later...

Updating this topic because new things are happening!

Just rolling up to my 230,000km service.  So thats 160,000 under my foot and 30,000 on the new engine.  This service should be a fun one.

My clutch pedal has been squeeking/groaning and getting louder and harder to push.  At first i thought it was the release fork pivot rod, but after regreasing that it make bugger all difference.  Im now convinced the noise is caused by the release bearing rubbing against the snout on the input shaft.  So i need to remove the gearbox to re-grease that part.

The current box is still performing excellently but the ratios in it have started to annoy me.  Instead of feeling zippy, every gear is very long and it does make the car quite boring to drive.  At the moment, 3rd gear is good from 0-170kph.  So i want to change to something shorter.

Ive come across a box from a 2000 WRX Type R.  This should have shorter ratios and a 4.444 final drive which will allow me to switch to a plated LSD in the rear.  This should be good since my current rear diff has had chunks of teeth coming out of it for a little while.  Also the viscous LSD died an age ago and it likes baking up the inside wheels.  The type R box also has DCCD which allows you to play with the torque split.  So i can push a button in the car and send 80% of the power to the rear wheels on demand.

Sounds like a bit of fun.  Just gotta put the gearbox back together, replace a couple of seals and then on my next service - fit it.  Along with the new rear diff, a rocker cover gasket and the usual oil 'n filter change.

After that, i can worry about wiring up a controller for the diff.  Untill i get that sorted - it will be stuck fully open sending the majority of power rearwards.  Already wired up this conversion in 2 friends cars so i should be an expert by now.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new gearbox in tonight, havnt finished it yet - still gotta hook up reversing lights and refit heatshields and undertray etc.

Took it out for a wee drive and the short ratios are excellent.  Everything works and its certainly not a downgrade from the last box so i think i did well there.

Put the new LSD in the back too.  Gave it a big stab out of gull and it did a rear tahi spinner across the road....so took it to a deserted car park and gave it a stab at full lock.  It lit up one rear wheel then just fucked off after pulling some grip out of thin air.  Giving it a boot mid corner just results in momentary wheelspin from somewhere then it fucks off with gusto.

So i dont think ill be a drifting legend in this thing - but once its all back together and i can experiment with some real anger, i think it might go sideways.

........still not sold on that rear diff tho.  Anyone else have an opinion on suretrak style diffs compared to a viscous?  I could run either and used to like my viscous lsd with the last box.  Cant go to a clutch/mechanical as they cost far too much for an R160 plated diff.