lightening a flywheel

spanners

was looking at this on TM

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =340786323

And wondered if its an option - buy this (13ish kg flywheel) and have 7-8kg removed from it. I know that a lot, thats why I ask.

Would end up cheaper than buying a brand new SMF but obviously it doesnt have TRD stamped into it which means that I cant put TRD on the shopping list on my door, cos that would just be foolish

Also who in wgtn makes custom driveshafts?

cheerio

Ideally you want a billet flywheel if you're gonna lighten it hugely, i would imagine you would see machining marks over the entire flywheel if it is billet, you can usually tell if it's cast by looking at the back of the flywheel, it will be unmachined and show casting marks etc

As for custom drive shafts in Wgtn, try Howat engineering in Naenae.

It's a bit of a wives tale that it's hell unsafe to lighten a cast flywheel. Obviously there are limits, but I have a nissan motorsport race/rally prep guide for the datsun 1200. And it includes a drawing of how much meat to remove from the flywheel. While it's not dangerously thin, it would be a complete pig in trafffic with the f/wheel in that book.

It's a bit of a wives tale that it's hell unsafe to lighten a cast flywheel. Obviously there are limits, but I have a nissan motorsport race/rally prep guide for the datsun 1200. And it includes a drawing of how much meat to remove from the flywheel. While it's not dangerously thin, it would be a complete pig in trafffic with the f/wheel in that book.

I

I was going to say yes, but I have lightened a fly wheel before (cast) and given the options, I would get a custom one made up. All you need is a ring gear and the crank bolt pattern and a reputable place will be able to make one for you. I was quoted around $500 a couple of years back but as I say, I opted for the lightening option purely because it was half the price being that I already had a couple of flywheels to play with.

I was going to say yes, but I have lightened a fly wheel before (cast) and given the options, I would get a custom one made up. All you need is a ring gear and the crank bolt pattern and a reputable place will be able to make one for you. I was quoted around $500 a couple of years back but as I say, I opted for the lightening option purely because it was half the price being that I already had a couple of flywheels to play with.

Basically the deal is that if i have to spend more than a few hundy, i will just leave the dual mass jobby until later. I have no job, im an alcoholic (which is an expensive addiction) and my car already has a flywheel and clutch. I am just trying to pounce on an opportunity for greatness here

was thinking of just sellotaping flywheel to my corollas front wheel and then holding a chisel against it until its lighter

drunk

can you please suck the penis of said reputable places owner so that he gives me free flywheels for life?

Basically the deal is that if i have to spend more than a few hundy, i will just leave the dual mass jobby until later. I have no job, im an alcoholic (which is an expensive addiction) and my car already has a flywheel and clutch. I am just trying to pounce on an opportunity for greatness here

was thinking of just sellotaping flywheel to my corollas front wheel and then holding a chisel against it until its lighter

drunk

Na you don't need to do anything like that..... just grap the kids lego and make one, plastic ones are way lighter than steel ;)

I see what you're sayin. My advice in that case, throw it back together as is, get it on the road and get a nice light billet one for cheap off trademe later on, when you're ready to throw some more money away etc

Hang it by a piece of string and whack it with hammer like object.

If it rings, lighten it. If it goes thud, throw away.

Dont go too light and dont rev it too high and you'll be all good.

I have 6kg on Alice, have used on another car, and recommend them all day long.