DJZ's R30 Skyrine

Mike-e

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheels have "Gallop Racing" and "V the V" on the inside, I've started polishing them.

Apparently the Z31 was really mint, they took the motor, gearbox and rear hubs out of it then chopped it up in Japan, pretty sad.

I was worried was going to end up in some "drift" Laufiro or something retarded like that, and the sump and engine mounts would end up in the bin.

I had the option of buying a Z31 off the guy the R30 came from, long story but it's one that I used to own, auto 2+2 VG20ET, I'd rather have the R30. If I'd come across a facelift turbo 2 seater though things might be different :)

good to see another R30 coupe kicking around, doesn't look that badly rustified either from the photos which is a bonus. I'd probably make damn sure there's no rust in the front strut towers either as it's a notorious spot for it to start festering. will definitely be keeping an eye on this either way.

the WAKO'S sticker cracks me up, would make an amusing t-shirt design :lol: and those seats are old Prelude ones from the looks of things.

Is there much of a market for the old NICS (redtop) RB20DET do you think? reason I ask is because a friend will shortly be selling the standard one out of his mint-condition R31 coupe and is most interested in obtaining a decent price for it (including gearbox). but then again I guess a RB20DET is a RB20DET is a RB20DET to most flat peakers :lol:

If you want, drop the wheels into me, I'll rebalance them with stick on's (hiden) once you've polished them up, rather than miss a spot polishing where the whack on wheel weights are..

Like what you're doing with it, only problem now is you'll have two awesome cars :lol:

Yeah man, I'll definitely do that, I need to get new valves put in as well as the wheel centres don't really clear them, which I didn't realise till I knocked the centre out of the first one and flatted half of the valve which you might be able to see in the pic.

What's the best way to get the knock on weights off? Just lever them off?

I always wondered what 6 cyclinder was in these. My old one I dirt tracked had a single carb fj20 stuck in it about 100ish mm from the fire wall on halfass spec engine mounts. Might still have a few bits laying around if you want any. I also would wack a new cam belt on it cause they get shtty with age.

Yeah man, I'll definitely do that, I need to get new valves put in as well as the wheel centres don't really clear them, which I didn't realise till I knocked the centre out of the first one and flatted half of the valve which you might be able to see in the pic.

What's the best way to get the knock on weights off? Just lever them off?

yup . they have very little holding them from the back . i did mine with a screwdriver . careful . slipping and scratching rims and cause rnts of obscenity

Yeah, I managed to one weight off with a prybar. Some of the wheels have metal valves and some have rubber, the rubber ones just bend out of the way so it'll only be one or two that need changing.

• 1 month later...
Also have been working on the wiring a bit, not very fun. When I got the motor it was supposed to have an uncut loom. One section of wiring has been cut off which is the wiring for the air flow meter and for some reason both knock sensors which are on the other side of the motor. I hate soldering shielded wire.

heads up bro' you cant solider the joins on 02 wires, that changes the resistance and renders the o2's useless. join em with clips or similar.