hunteds shuvit

mutiny

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i know i know

some tell me to man the fuck up and put somethign decent in it/give me something decent to put in it

I may know of just the engine.

Its an ex-Opel Manta 1800 engine. Its a family 2 Opel motor, essentially the same as my engine, only 1.8litre and single cam. Its currently carbed, so a nice easy install. It should bolt in, on the engine side at least. If it doesn't bolt in, all you will need to do is space the mounts out as I have done on my block.

Downsides; its in Auckland, it has no gearbox so you'd need to use a Commodore VN gearbox and make up a driveshaft and gearbox crossmember.

But, thats not that much of a downside so such a sweet conversion! A nice, reliable 100hp and best of all, the engine will probably only be a few hundred dollars.

Its not a bolt in conversion as such, but its such a sweet idea. If you ever need anymore power you can either put a bigger block in using the head and everything else, making it up to 2.2litres, or you could put a twincam head on like mine and make about 150hp :D

Bit left field, but a SOHC 4G63 could be a go. They are a sweet older engine, aren't heavy, already rwd, plentiful along with gearboxes and easily fettled with, plus have about 100hp and sound sweet. Prozac was mincing about with a DOHC into a Chevette , so has mounts perhaps?

Not worth it if there's a bit involved as you may as well go for something better, but worth a think given the other options floating about

If that opel engine is the cam in head jobbie then aren't they about as heavy as a pinto?

What about a 4age? or are they not that cheap any more? I have not lloked into them really.

I still think the datsun engine sounds good. i'm sure someone down there would spend a day helping to make up engine mounts etc for beer :D

If that opel engine is the cam in head jobbie then aren't they about as heavy as a pinto?

Nope, like I said, family 2. Exactly the same as the engine fitted to my Chevette but smaller capacity, so a nice clean, modern engine. Good parts availability, light weight, a bolt in conversion, with just the gearbox side to sort out.

I think no matter which engine I look at, its a case of making the engine mounts fit, possibly modifying the sump, making gearbox crossmember, and then making dshaft to suit.

propbably be the same for most engines really.

Brad, the engine sounds pretty sweet....costs would add up byt hte time I got it down here and a gbox for it however.

Ill see what this a15 goes for/offer him peanuts