A to the K

Vintage Grumble

i was told years ago the k50 is the cable operated version of the t50..

but possibly different input spline?? maybe weaker??

but shit loads cheaper to buy..and the 4age bolted up to it,ke70 dx driveshaft was used..

good deal,good bye :D

The K50s arnt as weak as people male them out 2 be, i had 1 behind my bluetop for a few years and not once did it cause any problems but i surpose it depends on what type of life its had.

The internals of the K series K50 should fit in the A series K50 but i have heard of small differences that required odd size bearings etc

AE85 or AE70 is A series K50, all the internals are interchangable with K series K50. When i destroyed 2nd in one of my AE85s, i scored a freebie K40 from KP60 & swapped the damaged bits over

So did this transform your K50 into a 4 speed or were you able to retain 5th? I've heard elsewhere you could rebuild A-series K40/50's with parts from K-series ones, it's nice to have this confirmed :)

I think they built 3A-U Carinas with T50's due to the increased weight of the car, afaik the only difference between them and the 4A-GE T50 is the the clutch fork on the opposite side.... although now that I think about it the input splines might be different?

Yeh, K50 and T50 are completely different.

The next question I have is, whats the best way to set up the clutch? At the moment it has the 20V flywheel and pressure plate, with the K50 clutch plate, it was done like this because the 20V has 2 more bolt holes on crank (6 vs 8?) for flywheel then the 3AU, and because 20V cluth plate wont fit on K50 input spline, the problem is the clutch plate is much smaller then the 20V one, so it kinda only has half of its area contacting, the inner part of the plate is over the recess in the 20V flywheel, and I dont think it will last to well? Is there an easy way to do this better? Had planned to machine 20V flywheel and put the original K50 pressure plate on it, by way of redrilling the correct PCD into it, so would end up with 20V flywheel, and K50 clutch and pressure plate.

Are they really K50's? I would have thought T50's The AA63 Carina I had was 3AU - T50. I would have thought the Carina and AE85 would have been similar in gubbins.

I think it's cause the Carinas are classed as a heavier car ie they're on the 'A' Celica/Celica Camry/Supra/Carina platform rather than the lighter 'E' Corolla/Sprinter/Levin/Trueno platform.

Yeh, K50 and T50 are completely different.

The next question I have is, whats the best way to set up the clutch? At the moment it has the 20V flywheel and pressure plate, with the K50 clutch plate, it was done like this because the 20V has 2 more bolt holes on crank (6 vs 8?) for flywheel then the 3AU, and because 20V cluth plate wont fit on K50 input spline, the problem is the clutch plate is much smaller then the 20V one, so it kinda only has half of its area contacting, the inner part of the plate is over the recess in the 20V flywheel, and I dont think it will last to well? Is there an easy way to do this better? Had planned to machine 20V flywheel and put the original K50 pressure plate on it, by way of redrilling the correct PCD into it, so would end up with 20V flywheel, and K50 clutch and pressure plate.

the 20v flywheel is too big for the bell, so it needs to be relieve with a diegrinder. the 3AU clutch should be fine from memory, you may have a 4K clutch??

How heavy is the AE70? I think the small clutch will be okay.

I had bluetop and T50 in a light kp60 with smaller than stock clutch plate for some reason. Was fine for lots of daily thrashing and a few trackdays but I went to the bigger/normal size clutch when I redid it.

AE85 or AE70 is A series K50, all the internals are interchangable with K series K50. When i destroyed 2nd in one of my AE85s, i scored a freebie K40 from KP60 & swapped the damaged bits over

So did this transform your K50 into a 4 speed or were you able to retain 5th? I've heard elsewhere you could rebuild A-series K40/50's with parts from K-series ones, it's nice to have this confirmed :)

No K50 was still a K50, I just removed the damaged 2nd gear off the mainshaft the K50 & replaced with the gear from the K40. Was pretty simple really

so i can buy a k50 of the back of a 4k, swop the gear set over into my k50 and bolt it back upto my bluetop 4age? the spline will fit back into the engine sweet az?

and i see some talk about a pdf file on how to do it but cant seem to find one. does no a link or anything. cheers