Yoeddynz's 1985 Hino N0915 housetruck build.

yoeddynz

Yep, you'd think so but honastly i didn't realy think anything of it at the time. Just oh yeah dad drives a monster truck some times.

me and my brother used to climb up in it, on the wheels when it was in the workshop all the time.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

old man driving it at waikaraka park some years ago.

n1552033331300179741508.jpg

He also drove it at the kumeu hot road show AAages ago did a car crush where they have the swap meet stuff now. did a big wheelstand and snaped the wheel off.

ahh somthing i know a shitload about ! , dunno about 1000kg for a mackbox either more 600 for the maxitorque mackbox .

regaurdless pack bearings as per normal and fill the cavity in the hub full of grease, looks like you can remove the bearing with the seal in so i assume the inner bearing will need to be tapped onto the stub.

and were the linings badly contaminated?? alot of the time you can get away but on occasion the fluid seeps in and even a good sanding wont fix it (tend to grab on )

oh and last but not least a small amount of grease smeared on the stub will help keep rust away.

I'll pack them out on the hub so when I slide the drum/hub on it wont push grease of bearing into drum. cheers.

And bare feet- man I'm loving being back home in Marlborough, the weather is so mild! Its only a month away to the shortest day as well.

July will be the coldest month yet to come but for now I love the fact that most days here are sunny and that shorts/teeshirt are all thats needed.

• 2 weeks later...

We are hoping it'll stay under 10 tonne as its a big jump in RUCs from 10 to 11.

It started at 4.8 tonne Tare weight - lets say 5. With rough adding up of things added - weights at or above what they are I I think they are as we weighed most things out of interest roughly.

Steel frame work 500kg

ply cladding 390

flat roof ply 95

pitched roof 80

bedroom ply 60

rimu floor 200

rimu walls 300

pine walls 50

stove 40

stone under stove 40

oven 40

macrocarpa rafters 135

ceiling ply 60

benches 40

dining table 20

toilet 20

belly box 60

Battery/solar panel 50

glass etc etc...

phew.. so add that lot up and its over 2 tonne and thats without the window frames and glass, internal walls, woodwork, door, cabinets, drawers so say add another tonne- which would be way enough. So hopefully it might even be under 9 tonne. We'll weigh as soon as we get the cof. Not paying more RUC than needed.

Oh no... not for us. We had the lovely 330 straight 6 diesel :) and it had been reconditioned by the BBC mechanics- paid for by the tax payers! :D

I was telling Cam how it is all alloy body- tig welded alloy framework, alloy skin, stainless fittings- was beautifully built.

Four were made to order for the BBC. It was a mobile video unit that travelled all over Europe. We paid 1500 quid- was such a bargain. It was 1982- one of the last TKs. I loved it. 3000 mile trip over 4 months around Europe and it returned 15mpg!!! Not a single fault. Was a touch slow climbing up some of the cols- like at 2500 meters. Second all the way up. I had fitted an exhaust brake from a volvo onto it and that worked a treat- we would have cooked the brakes otherwise. In fact I had to put cardboard over the radiator on the long downhills as it wouldn't get warm otherwise.

I put newer TL (did NZ get TLs?) into it- they bolted straight in. They had adjustable armrests for ultimate cushtyness.

The inside.

spacious.jpg

campvalloire.jpg

watching the tour de france come over Col du Galibier from roof of truck. BBQ, sound system, beer.

chillino.jpg

bringiton.jpg

We saw so many cool old trucks on that trip- I'm gonna start a cool truck thread.... :)

Shit Alex mate - you have lived a charmed life in housetrucks...

So jealous it makes me want to weep.

I am so keen on the idea of building something housetruck/trailer esque in 2013 when I can finally sell my house...

How hard is it to find places to park up and hook into power/running water on a medium - long term basis?

I would love to have myself a house on wheels in Wellington so I can stay/work here..

its pretty easy. I reckon easier in nz too as we have so many farms and people are always up for a spot of extra cash in their pockets in exchange for rent of a spot of land.:) especially these days. Plus so many people live in vehicles here where as in the uk or euro land you get instantly labeled- i had to pick who i would tell as some people just cant understand.

For an idea on rent at posh motorcamps in nelson are charging between 90 and 110 a week for 2 permanent stay. Much much cheaper to find a friendly farmer etc especially if all you might need is water.

I lived on streets of oxford in mk 2 transit for over 2 years and then another 2 in my big iveco mail van i fitted out. Worked 40 hours a week at local push bike shops for 10 years. When in transit i joined uni gym and had my showers there. After a gym session in winter then shower i could chill out and watch girlies playing badmington:-) van had no heating- winters there are bloody cold. But i paid no rent for almost 5 years. Then moved out to country side when hannah bought her tk. For 6 years we paid £5 each a week to live surrounded by oak trees and fields 6 mile bike ride from work. Was fantastic!

Do it! All you need to do is get rid of shit ya dont need (except old cars and bikes...)

You never own stuff- it owns you.