xsspeed's Corollas: EE80->Beams3s & NZGT Liftback

xsspeed

... of front tuggedness

This may or may not be to most people's tastes but thought I would slam it up here for those that are interested.

So car is a 1986 Toyota Corolla Liftback (5 door). Featuring 2e 1300cc econoplant. Originally purchased new by my parents in '86, it became mine, then I gave it to my sister, but when I wanted a car to fool around with I took it back.

So high school saw many trips to pick-a-part without much of a clue to pick up odds and ends that were broken.

When I got it back form my sister she had destroyed the clutch (that was pretty much shagged from skids anyway) so I figured I would change the clutch and use it as a cheap daily - my other car is a falcon wagon.

Decided to have a look for surface rust etc while doing the clutch and found that after being rear ended three times and just tugged back into place that the rust had set in well. So it will need more of a fix.

Not sure if I will attack this myself or pay someone as it looks beyond my limited panelwork and welding capabilities.

So instead of just changing the clutch I decided I would get into doing it up, so have been saving and buying parts as I go, including 3 donor cars.

First things first, the doors were shagged so I purchased another liftback and swapped the doors and trim etc over, plus added the consoles that mine was missing (low spec model).

Then a damaged fxgt came up that had a smallport transplanted for cheap so I snapped that up and came up with the idea of shifting the drivers side engine mount forward 50mm and drop in the smallport. This fxgt was auto though so it was going to mean getting the manual conversion elsewhere.

Also shocks on this are nearnew so will be swapping them over, they also have king's superlows on them which is a bit of a fail but should at least get it slammed.

Then being an idiot I thought I would collect some 20V Silvertop parts and engines and use them. Of course that was an epic fail as I soon realised I needed more bits and bobs to actually make it work. Luckily I got the engines cheap and parted them out for a profit.

Then an AE111 BZG came up on trademe cheap (deregd) so I snapped that up and now will use the 4age Blacktop. Originally (when I was still dreaming) I had planned to turbo the blacktop but now I have pretty much decided against it, as the car only weighs ~950kg a N/A thats tweaked a bit should be more than enough for shenanigans.

The only thing I need now is an lsd (and some welding and fabrication skills) and its a matter of swapping in all the EFi bits and pieces and a shitload of wiring.

Of course I have spent more time buying less than necessary bits for it and less time actually working on it. Mainly because I have been stripping parts off the donor cars and making my money back on them, and raise funds to buy goodies.

Anyway pics at last for those who care.

2e in all its glory

DSC02653.jpg

Liftback donor car

DSC02636.jpg

FXGT donor car

DSC02660.jpg

BZG with blacktop motor

bzg5.jpg

Watanabe '8-hole' that my mrs outbid FLWLES on

91995623_full.jpg

Details sent through to me from Watanabe USA - I was trying to find out what they were

watanbe.jpg

SSR Type X wheels I bought - they weight 3.8kg apparently without tyres.

DSC05350.jpg

FOHA front lip as fitted to some of the prefacelift NZ corolla GT's.

DSC03157.jpg

DSC03156.jpg

Gots some rear louvres just to see if they suit it or not

DSC03152.jpg

No decent photos of the actual car yet as its still in the garage on jacks and got no room to get a decent shot.

So yeah thats it so far, haven;t got as much done on it as I had hoped this year as I have dislocated my shoulder three times and my collarbone where it connects to the sternum, so haven't been able to get into it. Got surgery in a few weeks too so won't be moving very fast.

Really want to get this done so that I can start working on my premier and land rover.

I have an image in my head to work towards in terms of exterior styling etc, should be quite tasteful, will see how it pans out.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly forgot, was dummy fitting up the SSR wheels and its seems they have a larger centre bore than the previous wheels that fit snuggly over the centric ring. The ring is about 54mm, but on the new wheels the hole is about 64mm.

New wheels on car

DSC05537.jpg

DSC05538.jpg

DSC05539.jpg

DSC05540.jpg

Old wheels

DSC05541.jpg

Shit photos but you should be able to see what I mean, are there any issues with this? Theres about 5mm clear space around the centric ring.

Ah choice, so whats the deal with spacers then? to be cert'd they must have a centric ring but does that ring need to be hubcentric with the wheels that you have (At time of cert)?

Reason I ask is becaus ethese wheels turned out to be 42p, and the inner lip runs pretty close to the strut (~5mm). Would probably be sweet with semi-stretched tires but not sure how keen I am for this. So was thinking as the car will be getting a cert anyway I may just just run 15-20mm spacers to push them out a bit more. Only issue then is fouling tyres on guards etc which would either mean smaller spacers, stretched tyres or flares/lipped guards.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a car update but finally finished something ... had a shit day and couldn't check out those hiace trucks so when I got back home I needed to vent in the garage.

A while back 10speed was offering up a tool chest for free so I took him up on it. And tonight I just about finished restoring it, still has dings here and there that I couldn't get out out but I reckon it scrubbed up quite well - even though its just going to get filled with filthy tools.

Colours are a satin chocolate (quite glossy for a satin) and satin Beige (finish is quite matt compared to chocolate).

Pics for your viewing pleasure: (flash buggers it up a bit though)

DSC05552.jpg

DSC05553.jpg

DSC05554.jpg

Should get some work done on the car tomorrow - plus chopping up my two spare shells to go to the scrappies.

• 5 weeks later...

Only minor rust removal progress to date on corolla, nothing post worthy.

Going in for shoulder reconstruction on friday...the 13th!! so will be tucking this away for most of summer I'd say.

Weighing up option of getting 'TRD spec' 2e motor, pricey investment but probably work out cheaper in the long run over blacktop conversion. Has a claimed 160hp @ 9000rpm - will remain to be seen.

So I have motivation to get strength back I'll post Simon's awesome photoshops here.

Pics are of truenotch's wheels, hopeing to acquire some of the 4x100 +15 persuasion immenently.

Less talk, moar pics

With slam

liftbackbluerims2s.jpg

liftbackbluerimss.jpg

sans slam

liftbackbluerims.jpg

liftbackbluerims2.jpg

IMO non-4wd spec required

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Bit of an update, but a lame one - no pics or real progress

Purchasing 3s gearbox from Spence come payday, and will be acquiring a beams 3s following this.

From what little info I have been able to drag up, I should be able to use the current mounts for the 2e motor, and only need to change the mount next to the battery (gearbox mount). If anyone has any more info it would be greatly appreciated, but as I imagine very few have fucked around with an ee80 before info is pretty scarce.

Anyway, I know the motor and box will get in there with some twittering about, but I have two main issues.

1. Driveshafts. These will end up being shorter than either ae82 (corolla) or st202 (celica) shafts. What are my options for shortening factory shafts? Or do I need something made up from scratch?

If using factory shafts - can I retain the 4 stud hubs (does the spline match?) Reusing the hubs & carrier will allow me to retain the ae82 steering.

2. Brakes - I will be using Ae111 BZG brakes, I assume as many slap a churbro on there 4age without worrying much about brakes that these will still do the trick? Or should I be looking at even larger units?

Also if anyone has some ae92/ae101/ae111 coilovers going, please get in touch…Cheers

8)

If your hubs are the same spline as AW11 rears then the SW20 axles that that gearbox originally had will fit...

If the mounts are similar to AW11 then you should be able to find a combination of factory parts that will work for the gearbox side of the mount. I was going to make new front/rear gearbox mounts and a new cam belt cover engine mount (The one that mounts by the drivers side strut).

As for brakes, I'd look into doing an SW20 or ST185 twinpot upgrade on the front and get a bigger master cylinder.

Good luck man! It would be great to see this happen.

jesus what a weapon this things going to be

Fingers crossed it will.

Have sourced some mounts off a guy (Sambo on here iirc, AE86less on TS), and a larger capacity radiator that suits ae82 mounts, and hose to suit 3s inlet/outlets.

Also managed to source most of the whiteline handling pack for ae82's, so now have adjustable rear swaybar, Front Caster Adjustable kit - control arm, Trailing Arm Bush Kit, Front Swaybar Mount Bush Kit (waiting on final bits)

What sort of price should I expect to pay for a Beams 3s, with everything bar gearbox. There is one on TM for $800 which is about the cheapest I have seen them.

Sweet, will likely grab that one provided finds clear in time.

Think yours was the $750 one from a caldina Markku?

I remember seeing that and almost buying it a month or two back.

Spenc, do you have any other kit lying around you are thinking of offloading?