SHGWAG's FD3S

SHGWAG

So having the intercooler piping re made out of stainless. Its being tacked together this afternoon, I'm picking it up for a test fit, then will be back to the shop for any tweaks in the morning, then will be back out to go on the car tomorrow afternoon.

Still waiting to hear back when the radiator fan mounts will be finished, but was assured yesterday morning that they will be done by close of business tomorrow.

**EDIT:

Just been in and seen them: the mounts will be finished tomorrow morning :D

Looking like it will be running on Sunday :D:D:D:D:D

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love how this thread typifies car projects. Postponments and $$$ for africa, but motivation is still strong.

I'm sure there's an equation where those two reach a certain point and a lowlancer critical mass occurs whereby all aspects of a project are abandoned at a loss of both $$$ and dignity

^ my thoughts.

I always worry about people 'falling off the horse' so to speak and ruining theirs, and all the lives around them by replicating the lowlancer model.

Here the risk is higher than ever before as the completion of the project is within the last 5%.

SHGWAG/DVSFISTSONP2NV, I ask that you keep your wits about you and don't give in to the demons of 'fuckit, lets sell it and go drink dou bros'.

Motorvation Comes from the following:

I've spent $$,$$$.$$ getting this thing to where it is.

Me & my brother have seant too many hours on it to give up & just sell it.

Have to prove to the guys who said: "You'll never finish that thing", wrong.

& have to finish it so I get the promised slams for ryd etc..

Its 4 months on the 5th of April since I pulled this thing out of the old lady's shed & started working on it.

Had a long chat with Vvega last night, has shed some light on the tuning side of things & made some interesting points. Has given me alot of food for thought.

So, will post here on sunday night either Really happy, or reall disappointed.. :doubt:

Cheers bro, don't think it'll get to a stage where it will be driveable today (gotta fill up & bleed powersteering & brakes & clutch etc...) so will probably run out of time

Heading back out there around 12ish to crack back into her, although, not much more left that I can do. After the spacers are made up for the primary fuel rail bolts, all I have to do is put on the manifolds & plumb up the vacuum lines. Then Matts just got the wiring for that fuel pump & relay, radiator fans & getting the dash to work.

Then all I have to do is grab some gud Ol 98 Octane & a bit of castrol 2smoke oil.

Riirw Rirw raarp brup brup brap brap brap etc..

Cuntfuck

Called up my brother to check that he was at the workshop, turns out he's laid up in bed & has been vomiting all night.

So decided to give it a break today, and I'll crack into it during the week. Next weekend's easter so I'll get it driveable.

Still disappointed I can't get her started today.

K, so minor issue to do with the water pump:

The waterpump I was going to use is a bit tired (as Vvega pointed out)

The water pump pulley runs off the back of the V belt, and because I have removed the factory Air Pump, I have reduced the contact area between the pulley & belt to around 45 degrees rather than the 180ish degrees factory. This means that during a fast increase in revs, the belt will slip on the pulley.

2 Options:

Under drive the waterpump & alternator by using larger pulleys - (Giving me about 70-80 degrees of contact). Should underdrive the water pump anyway because they are inefficient over 7,000rpm

Or whack a gud ol EWP in there somewhere.

Your thoughts callers?

How about running a dummy/idler pulley in place of where the A/C pump used to be so the belt still runs its original course. Job done. This could also facilitate upsized pulleys to under-drive the waterpump, if you must.

Because my turbo now sits where the Air pump was. :D

And by air pump, I mean air pump. It pumps air inot the factory cat converter to reduce / lean out emmissions.

Still have A/C compressor & will eventually put A/C back into the car. 8)

To clarify

A/C & P/S run off a seperate belt to the alternator / waterpump / air pump