SHGWAG's FD3S

SHGWAG

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, he was hating on all things non rotary, which is funny, coz he owns a rice S15 faced S13 'drift car'.......

Anyways, didn't touch the thing this week, but I've set aside Saturday morning to find the fluid leak (suspect power steering) and give the engine bay a degrease.

I'll also get the boost issue sorted.

I may then do a skid (on a 'closed road' of course).

Under controlled circumstances.

Whatever, you're a rota owner, just roll down main street of hams at lunch time and let rip.

Ah, did this in my Brother's FD one Christmas day, speed cut down Victoria street (Pre speed bumps).

Fuck we were idiots.

So, I upped the boost to 15PSI today, and changed the duty cycle of the boost control solenoid.

However, checking if this is working properly requires a 4th gear pull so I can keep traction and keep the engine under full load - not an easy feat on public roads.

I'll test this on the weekend, this will confirm if it's indeed a boost issue, and if so, will up the boost cut to see if that cures things.

I've just set it up as limited at roughly 15psi across the board atm, once back on the dyno, I can fine tune the controller to give me definitive boost control.

b7pd.jpg

51l9.jpg

z9tr.jpg

So, Friday afternoon I discovered that not only did I have a PS fluid leak, but the block was also loosing water - UH OH.

After fearing the worst, I let the car idle up to temp, them had a look through the engine bay, found water at the front of the block, but no sign of leakage.

Step back 4 years to when the block was built, I took delivery of the block sans water pump & housing as I already had these.

For some un known reason I skimped on buying a $7 gasket for the point where the WP housing bolts onto the block.

This had now come back to bite me in the backside.

After returning from Matamata near on 11pm, Rob & I pulled the front end apart, low & behold, the gasket goo used had failed.

We cleaned the surfaces and all was set for the morning.

Saturday morning after a stop in at the the local Mazda, new gaskets were in hand and the car was back together by 11am.

Started her up and no leaks. Left the car in the garage and VTEC'd up to Meremere to watch some drifting.

(Forum member Furai? was getting some sweet angle going in his MX5)

Got back and took the car out only to find that when we disconnected the battery on Friday night, it had cleared all of the settings in the boost controller.

DRAT.

It was too wet to set it up again, with wheel spin occurring in every gear as soon as boost came on I decided to park it up for the day in lieu of putting it into a stationary object. I've re entered the boost settings and will test this, this afternoon if time & weather permit.

Apex-i AVC-R.

Just need to balance out the duty cycle of the solenoid so it doesn't spike or fluctuate.

Unfortunately I haven't hooked up the speedo to it, so boost by gear control is out for the time being.

Ideally I'd like a dyno where I can study the boost curve and adjust the settings to suit.

• 3 weeks later...

So this thing is happily running 14psi and will now rev to redline.

Still have to see what's causing the boost cut at 16psi, but will get to that in due course.

One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't like sitting in traffic for long periods, as while the engine temp stays a consistent 82-84 degrees, the intake air temp skyrockets.

I need to get this sorted & I have a few options for this.

• 2 weeks later...

It had two edaboc stickers on it at one stage that read "edacoc".

Clutch has done itself a mischief, so pulling it apart on Saturday to investigate.

I suspect it's the release bearing.

As I'm currently only running a single clutch plate with uprated pressure plate, I'm tossing up whether this is the time to go to a twin plate clutch now to avoid any issues if I decide to squeeze any more power out of it later on.