Simon's 1983 ST140 Corona coupe.

Simon

You cant get 10mm machined off the back face of the wheel, because it's machined through from the other side for the wheel nuts, if you know what I mean.

If the wheel nut holes werent drilled already, it would most likely be sweet to do that.

Caliper clearance might be an issue too, if you did.

It's how they set the offset for single piece wheels.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im taking the struts in tomorrow so will discuss the wheel thing with him then.

I had a quick look and i would just be able to get 10mm out of them to clear the caliper.

The bolt holes are tapered but then they have a long non tapered bit as well (longer than 10mm).

The wheel nuts are long enough.

I see no problem in machining some off providing it is machined level.

Well fuck me sideways.

After early morning conversations with Simon and Zeb I just took the front struts out of the MX73 cressida I have and they bolt in!

They have brand new bigger inserts and way bigger vented brakes. Will just use the good standard inserts in coilovers.

ALSO, they sit further in, so my front wheel pokie out problem is slightly solved.

Cant get pics but the edge of the tread is about directly under the lip of the guard.

A good roll and slight pump will have it mint.

Could just do more rolling on the rear and fit 10mm spacers if it still looks wrong. / lol

Will put corona struts in cressida. Might be a bit soft and get good brake fade...

No one will know :lol:

They give positive camber compared to corona struts though...

Which I guess might work in your favour if you've lowered it heaps anyway, just not if you're looking for silly amounts of camber for looks.

haha yeah, the corona struts on the cressida gives a lot of negative camber.

Found a deregd mx73 that ill use to replace the struts in mine with.

Cant really have vented rears and little solid fronts.

Ill be able to dial in a bit if camber in the top hats.

Anything to help getting the wheel under the guards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
different red, or perhaps its just the flash, angle or something but that red looks mediocre. Get left overs from Richie's wheels if he has any.

yeah. thats why im now doubting the red because that particular red is shit.

I think Richie got a painter to do them. will try him though.

Thanks guys.

may have missed it, but whats happening engine wise?

Well the motor is mint, runs so sweet, doesn't use a drop of oil etc. Its quite good on gas too. Just had new cam belt, idler bearings and service. And it has a low key underwaterish rasp in the exhaust cos its only got one muffler.

The motor stays for now.

After all this is supposed to be my cheapish to drive cruiser.

I think with a lockdif and standard motor it should be a bit of fun in the wet.

I want to get the AW11 transplant done after this is legal low. AW11 is the fast car.

But, depending on the situations, after the AW11 is done ill probably keep a pile of cash stashed to buy a cheap 1uz package with manual box, link etc when one comes up or someone crashes their car. I probably wouldn't do a 1uz if I had to buy everything separate though. Then with that would come a diff upgrade for skids everyday.

Shit starts getting $$$$.

Other option would be a 3s-ge as it will bolt to both my engine mounts and gear box. The current motor is a 1s-u.

But Iv always thought if your going to do an engine conversion, make a day of it an do it properly.

Did briefly think about twin carbs for the standard motor but would probably just use heaps of fuel and not go much faster.

How about smaller tyres to fit the guards a bit better?

That's a possibility. Didn't think of that.

It may need new rears for a cert too.

Those tyres are 185/55/14

You can buy 195/45/14 Reckon they would be all good? Suppose the only way is to test them.

Never seen a 185/45/14 but I doubt that would stretch onto a 9.5" wide wheel.

I quite like those tyres on those wheels. Not too much stretch and enough sidewall to not give a super shit ride.

Not too keen to run different tyre combination's.