Richy's 2001 Honda Torneo Euro R (CL1)

Snoozin

Eliot - To be fair the numbers kind of are a bit irrelevant... there's so much variation between dynos, really what you're looking for is the improvement in the curve/area under the curve to make the difference to the vehicles performance. If you're getting a gain who really cares what the numbers are, unless of course they're uncharacteristically low for a particular engine... if it cranked out 70kw or something I'd be a bit concerned.

George - it flies now, it wasn't overly slow to begin with but it's a whole new kettle of fish now. Smoother and more effortless, and with the VTEC changeover point dropped 500rpm it's so much simpler to keep it in it's nice substantial midrange between corners, and gears. Passing is also heaps easier/have to keep an eye on things or I'll lose my license again.

KK - yeah... I am so keen for some laps at Manfeild, I reckon it'll be vastly improved through the infield and exiting corners. I think the improvement has more to do with the fact the existing tune was a mickey mouse piece of shit effort. In the upper revs, the timing table actually sloped off dramatically, it's running something like 36.5 degrees advance now at it's upper rev range... was basically when we reached MBT, any further timing would have just increased chances of knock.

Markku - done and done, I'll sort something when I get some time...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

^ Could be a possibility man...

Anyway, another dyno day today... back on Speedtechs dyno, so a good benchmark reading (STM seems to be one of the more accurate/consistent in NZ) and a chance to directly overlay the old and new curves.

First chart showing the new (uncorrected) torque figure (blue line) vs the old, and on the right hand side the new power figure vs the old one:

IMG_1649.jpg

Second chart showing the corrected torque figures, and the comparison between the air/fuel ratios on the right:

IMG_1651.jpg

155.6kw and 261nm of torque... very happy with the results.

Couple of shots of the car on the dyno just because

IMG_1642.jpg

This shot was when it was bottomed out on the concrete lip.

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

And of course, a video!

Thanks for looking :)

• 3 weeks later...

Been driving this thing heeaaaaps lately... did block marshalling for the Daybreaker rally, which involved standing around at the road closure sign telling people who wanted to drive through to fuck off, and then once the stage had been completed, driving the length of it to remove all the danger tape tied to gates, driveways etc... Of course, being a rally the stage was gravel. In an inspired moment of absolutely no thought, I drove to the stage with the car left at it's current ride height, as seen below.

IMG_2187.jpg

This pic was actually taken after a small spot of gravel bashing en route, hence the rare sight of dirt literally caked on one of my cars. At this stage all was well, until I then had to go and travel the near 30km odd of gravel (torn up by a field of 40 plus rally cars I must add) in front of me.

IMG_2227.jpg

Smooosh!!!! I came flying around a nice lazy sweeper at somewhere between 80 and 90km/h, the car was grading the hump of gravel in the roads centre like I had pretty much become accustomed to then, nothing too serious really... AAARRGH!!! BIG FUCK OFF ROCK!!! Not having enough time to stop, I did my best to avoid it hitting the sump or gearbox, and instead nailed the last section of the headers. Actually felt it lift the car as it rolled under the headers, denting almost the full length of the last section. Thankfully it's not a major to fix so I have been informed, and as it sits I haven't noticed any real performance deficit.

Either way, next time I think I'll be raising the car a couple of inches, and probably not pushing it too hard on gravel... at least I guess I'm not afraid to really drive this thing.

• 2 months later...