Esprit's '01 Exige Over-winter refresh

Esprit

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This must be so frustrating - I feel your pain budd..

Firstly I doubt it would be a bent valve (just cos it seems unlikely on only one cylinder considering the engine is still running fine)

Have you checked the cam to shim clearances?

If it is hoooge then obviously the valve is being held open against its will - I would suspect it could be the valve guide has moved in the head and holding the valve open or something has got caught under the valve seat..

If it is tight it will be valve recession - which could be attributed to the seat moving or the valve stem stretching..

My best guess considering the timing of the incident (when the engine was at full snot and maximum heat was soaked into the engine) is the valve guide was not a tight enough fit and has moved in the head and subsequently holding the valve open..

You should be able to somewhat confirm this by pulling the inlet manifold off and having a good look at your valves and guides through the inlet ports..

Heartbreaking :( Just sing out if I can lend a hand, be it car stuff or emptying a bottle of Scotch. But take solace in the fact most of us car fiends have been there, to one extent or another so we can all empathise with your position.

KK speaks wise words though - if you've got the drive at this moment, inspecting things in the easiest fashion possible for now will at least give part-closure on the problem. Either way it'll get sorted and I believe we all know this!

The whole valve stem stretching thing is a theory we have on the Honda after valve clearances mysteriously tightened up drastically over the period where I had some fairly frustration starting and low rpm problems with it. Not that it's relevant.

Man that took aaaaaaages through your build thread to find these photos.. I knew I had seen them somewhere..

You can see your guides here - they look a long way away from the end of the valve so the guide slipping may not be the problem unless it has moved a LOT..

INLET??

InletPorting.jpg

EXHAUST??

ExhaustPorting.jpg

^ Agree, if it's a simple fix requiring a couple of hours labour, why not do it now & enjoy the car?

Biggest set back I've had with my project was the clutch. Was ready to throw in the towel after it went, but I've realised that as soon as that's complete, there isn't much left to go wrong, and I will start to get some enjoyment out of it.

This must be so frustrating - I feel your pain budd..

Firstly I doubt it would be a bent valve (just cos it seems unlikely on only one cylinder considering the engine is still running fine)

Have you checked the cam to shim clearances?

If it is hoooge then obviously the valve is being held open against its will - I would suspect it could be the valve guide has moved in the head and holding the valve open or something has got caught under the valve seat..

If it is tight it will be valve recession - which could be attributed to the seat moving or the valve stem stretching..

My best guess considering the timing of the incident (when the engine was at full snot and maximum heat was soaked into the engine) is the valve guide was not a tight enough fit and has moved in the head and subsequently holding the valve open..

You should be able to somewhat confirm this by pulling the inlet manifold off and having a good look at your valves and guides through the inlet ports..

Thanks for the suggestions KK, ones worth checking out. Valve stretch is unlikely given the low RPM involved, but it's possible. The valve guides were all new colisbro guides, so they SHOULD be fine, but it's possible that they've moved, but that's something that's worth checking out. As you say there's probably a logical and easy regime of inspection I can do before the head comes off, which will include looking down into #4, and whipping the inlet manifold off to have a looksee.

It's definitely a problem that's obviously started off okay but has gotten worse, either progressively or suddenly.... the dyno doesn't lie. The weird thing is that it seems to have happened to more than one valve on #4, which points to bent valves in some fashion, but that doesn't really add up either. As always, this car keeps me guessing... it's nothing if not a challenge, albeit a sodding expensive one.

KK you're right, those are the inlets and exhausts in that order.

In the end, we have to dismantle the engine to some degree so I'll check it at each stage as I go until a problem becomes apparent. Won't be happening the next couple of weeks though, I've a girlfriend I've got to make up some time with... kept promising her that all the recent garage-time was the final push to get the car finished... which has turned out to be an unintentional lie.