Esprit's '01 Exige Over-winter refresh

Esprit

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we're back on deck for the new year and HOPEFULLY this one will be slightly more successful than the last at actually being able to finish this thing!

The car spent Christmas in at KW and the engine will be pulled next week and the errant oil seal replaced. This shouldn't be a major job other than the hassle of draining/disconnecting the engine and transmission and refilling/bleeding everything thereafter.

The one thing that has gone on over Christmas is that I've bought the car a new starter motor.

The original starter motor is about the only thing in the engine bay I've not pulled off and cleaned up. It was a bit of an eyesore to me as it dragged the engine bay down a bit. Several people who saw the car commented on the starter not really being up to the standard of the rest of the engine so I was going to pull it off and clean it up.

However, with the voltage-drop problems we've been having with the car, I decided to look around for a gear-reduction starter. This would allow the car to crank nice and fast but with less current-draw than the original starter, making it easier on the battery and wiring.

I ordered a powerlite starter from the UK, which has the added benefit of being almost a kilo lighter than the OEM starter motor... so that's another benefit!

PowerliteStarterRoverK.jpg

Hopefully this'll arrive in the next week or so and will be bolted on and wired up before I need to crank the car over again.

Nothing will really be happening this week as I'm waiting for my car to get to the head of the queue at KW.... so hopefully by this time next week we'll have some more progress to report and I'll be able to get the car back in my garage so that I can get to work shortening the "to-do before the road" list.

Well no progress on the actual car this weekend as Ken's only back to work tomorrow... hope to have the car back at mine by next weekend.

I did however begin to so some work on the one remaining bit of the car that's still here; the rear clamshell.

First job today was to replace the two RHS rear lights. These were stress cracked when I got the car and the first thing I actually bought for the car when I got it was replacements.... fitting them has been a LONG time coming.

RearLightsReplaced.jpg

The next job was one I was dreading... opening up the rear vents in the clamshell where the fog and reversing lights are. Previously these had holes drilled in them for partial ventilation but I was after a bit more to try to keep the engine bay temps down a bit.

Here's what they were like before I started:

RearClamVents01.jpg

RearClamVents02.jpg

RearClamVents03.jpg

Now, I wanted to keep the fog and reversing lights (many people bin them), so I couldn't hack the whole vent box away. I wanted to leave enough fibreglass there to allow them to mount back in situ while improving airflow.

A stiff whisky to steady the hand and then the dremel came out. I'm actually rather chuffed with the results! :)

RearClamVents05.jpg

RearClamVents04.jpg

The rear clam also got a wash-up today to get all the accumulated grime off.... tomorrow I'll get to work reinstalling the fog/reversing lights again and the grilles and cleaning up another few little bits on it so that it's ready for the rest of the car when it returns.

Went out and saw the car today.... sadly Ken's not had a chance to get to it yet and it won't be looked at until late in the week sadly... this is a right royal pain in the ass since I'll not have the car back here this weekend and I desperately need to get a bunch of stuff done on it.... still, in the meantime I'm doing all I can do on the rest of the car and have now got the rear clam more or less finished.

Tonight the fog and reversing lights were cleaned up and put back in:

RearClamVents06.jpg

RearClamVents07.jpg

The clam was then finished off with the freshly-cleaned grilles to add the final flourish:

RearClamVents08.jpg

RearClamVents09.jpg

Now it's just a waiting game until I can get the damned car back here. I'm hoping to have it all but finished by the end of the month... I think the only thing I'll be waiting for at that stage will be a rear heat shield I'll need to have made up before the rear clam goes back on for good.

Fingers crossed.

Yeah, it's a pisser having a car that starts, runs, makes all the right noises and just needs my hours on it to bolt everything back on and fabricate a few more things before I'm ready to hit the WOF station..... but it's sitting in a shop across town, gathering more dust and bird shit :( :( Mega pissed.

Managed to get out to see the car yesterday. Sadly the engine's still not out, which I'm a bit disappointed about. By the time this oil leak's sorted it'll have taken a month to sort out on its own... that's a month of fine weather I could have been using to run the car in and get sorted. Not happy. But still, all going well it'll be sorted early this week so I can get the old girl home again... WELL overdue.

Yesterday involved checking a couple of new brackets for fit before I do final work on them before anodising. Doing this work up-front prevents having to bodge things in place and make them look like a dog's breakfast.

Also yesterday I managed to get the new PowerLite starter mounted on the car.

Here's the old Rover 1.4kW starter in situ. In addition to looking ugly it was drawing a lot of current to crank the engine (especially due to the fact that the engine takes a while to crank now that we're running sequential injection with the Rover flywheel trigger) and causing voltage drop issues with the ECU gear.

OldStarter.jpg

And here's the new PowerLite unit in situ. Looks better and should help lower current draw under cranking :)

NewStarter01.jpg

NewStarter02.jpg

Coincidentally, while I was there, I had a U2U from Eric (BlackS190) who wanted to see what I'd done with the relocation of the IAT sensor, so I'll throw up a couple of pics to answer the question:

Here's the original VHPD IAT sensor in the intake runner for #4 cylinder:

OldIATSensor.jpg

Due to the heat soak that the manifold suffers from the head, the sensor ends up measuring the temperature of the metal of the runner rather than the temperature of the air running through it. Especially at low engine speeds where the airflow past the sensor is low and the metallic heatsoak becomes the dominating factor.

At idle on a warm day it gives intake air temperatures of around 70 degrees. This means that the air temperature adjustment becomes pretty haywire, particularly at part-throttle and low-load situations.

The Exige S1 carbon airbox already had a port in it that was blanked off with a rubber bung. So that we wouldn't have to drill or cut anything we installed a new sensor here, which is measuring the intake air temp flow with a lot less heatsoak issues. To answer Eric's question, I'm not sure if the same hole exists on the Sport 190 airbox so one might need to be cut, but either way it's a convenient place to mount the sensor that works better than the stock location.

NewIATSensor.jpg

Job's a carrot :)

Today's work includes finishing work on the new battery bracket, and getting a load together for the anodisers to start on tomorrow. I'll also swing by and see the car again to analyse the weeping seal and to find out when it'll all be back in the car so I can organise a transporter to get the thing back in my garage as I've got a LOT to get busy with.

Well we found the source of the oil leak and as suspected it was the rear main seal.

The leak wasn't out of the lip however, it was leaking between the seal and the block. It seems this was down to two reasons:

1) The seal was assembled into the block without silicone sealant as per the Rover manual. Sealant will be used this time around, which should prevent the same happening again.

2) Looking at the seal removed and the replacement seal we got from Rover NZ, the seals are of slightly different design. The OEM rover seal has a ribbed outer-face where it locates into the spigot bore in the block and crank ladder. The seal from my seal kit (that was leaking) was a smooth-bore. The OEM design should be slightly more resilient to leaking here, sealant or not.

Hopefully this time around, careful assembly and a fresh seal will prevent the same thing from happening. The good thing is that the engine and box seems oil-tight otherwise, so I anticipate no dramas once we get the engine back in the car tomorrow.

FInally I'll be able to get the old girl back here and begin working to put her back together again.

Other jobs completed today include sending a batch of stuff out for anodising. This will take until mid next week because many places are still shut down for the christmas break... fingers crossed I'll have everything back in time to make use of it before the weekend after next!

Great success! For the first time since Oct 16th last year, the car is home again!

Now we can do a bit of rework to get the old girl fired back up again, run her up and down the road a couple of times (just for fun) then get to work bolting the rest of her back together! :)

A very welcome sight! A garage full of Lotus!

HomeAgain.jpg

Good news everyone! farnsworth.jpg

Spent some time on the car last night. Managed to get the gaearbox oil level sitting right again (will check again before it hits the road in earnest and the engine oil pressure raised on the starter again with no plugs or fuel.

I got the coolant system refilled and static-bled as well.

I then had to cable-tie the coil in place as the coil bracket is off being anodised and connect up the last few sensors. I'm going to have to go back over some of the loom routing as some of it needs to move a half inch or so here and there, but on the whole it's pretty good.

Then there was nothing left to do but kick the bitch in the guts!

I then shut up shop for the night.

The best news is that this morning there's no puddles of either oil or coolant underneath the car. The join between the engine and gearbox bellhousing is bone dry with no evidence of leakage there, to that's hopefully a sign of the new main-seal doing its job! Time will tell obviously, but after running the car similarly initially (see the earlier youtube vids of the Exige first and second start-ups, there were definitely drips of oil on the ground so already we're doing better than we were.

I've got PLENTY of jobs to carry on with now. I've got to re-do the way the airbox is mounted on (loctite some studs into the air filter rivnuts) so that the airbox is easier to mount and dismount. I've also got a few more rivets to set into the boot area and the toe link balljoints to lubricate.

I've got some painting of the cut fibreglass on the rear clamshell to do to seal it up and that'll probably be as much as I can get through tonight.

That she's up and running again is a big bonus, especially since the new starter seems to be doing its job just fine!

Onwards ho!

Well, a fruitful weekend thus far. Started out last night by fitting the alternator heat shield. This is a little bastart to get fitting right but I managed it in the end:

AlternatorHeatShield.jpg

I also managed to loctite the studs into the ITG air filter to make fitting it easier. This was then refitted to the car and the intake trunking added. I'll probably make up a new intake trunking as the Lotus OEM one is always too short on the Exiges, but the original one will do for now until I can find something better. At least it draws air from the right place!

IntakeTrunking.jpg

I then set about removing the old OEM harnesses. These were still fine for road use but were only FIA valid until 2005. As I plan to do some competitive driving with the car, I'd need harnesses that were current, so the old ones had to go:

OldHarnesses.jpg

These made way for the new Schroth Racing Profi II FE ASM harnesses. These are identical to the original (apart from the fact that the originals were branded with "Safety Devices" labelling.

NewHarnesses.jpg

The rear fascia then had to come off to allow me to finish up some stuff back there. A good chance to have one last look at all the wiring/relays/ecu/alarm gear back there before it's sealed up :)

ElectricsFinal.jpg

Another job that was done while that was off was to re-fit the engine breather catch tank:

CatchTankFitted.jpg

And then this afternoon, I've been busying myself unwrapping the seats, giving them a good clean-off and installing them.... my car has seats again!!!

SeatsIn.jpg

I spent a good half hour sitting in them, strapped in checking how everything felt (and even making occasional "BRRRRM" noises.... I couldn't start the car today because it was pissing with rain and the garage is full behind the car.) It's given me a better idea on how/where to mount a couple of things and FINALLY feels like my old girl again.

Another job I did today was to pull out the boot release cable as it was seizing up a bit. This came into work with me and I managed to pull a bunch of rust and crud out of it. The cable was in great nick though so I greased it up and reassembled it.

The seats and rear fascia will have to come out again before I finish the car as they need to be out to fit the rear clamshell. However, this will be delayed because I can't fit the rear clam until I've got the rear heat shield fabricated. I cant to get the car WOF'd and Re-registered before that'll be here so the rear clamshell will be fitted with only the essential fasteners holding it on to allow quick installation/removal. It'll then be properly reinstalled once the heat shield is fitted and properly shimmed up to the rest of the body.

Getting closer every day!