Truenotch's BEAMS AE86 racecar discussion

Truenotch

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on baffles in the diff what we do especially at philip island as im going through turn 1 with 1.5 G

we add exhaust tube onto the baffle and keep it about 4mm away from the diff center either side

also we fill up the baffle with toyota packing material to stop oil going down the axle tubes, as the bearings are sealed .so no point having oil in the tubes

better to keep it in the middle where it maters

• 3 months later...
Guest mikuni

This thing RULES!! Would definitely trade again.

It was much better when you were driving it than Markku :D

I could almost keep in sight of it on the straight before it dissapeared around the corner to lap me again a couple of minutes later :lol:

• 5 months later...

It used to have a 2 piece with the old engine/box and hashad this vibration since doing the conversion and going single piece. I initially thought that the driveshaft was too short as the yoke had play in the rear of the box. It seems that play was an effect rather than a cause.

The UJs have been replaced with new beefy ones and the driveshaft has been remade a couple of times already.

I've never checked the UJ angles properly, but to the naked eye they look very straight, so I might be able to kill the vibration with an adjustment on the diff.

Dad has a complete factory AE86 2 piece shaft in his garage, so I might use that as a starting point for a new shaft. Only issue is that the front section will be super short if I use the factory hanger location.

Might talk to the driveshaft man about adding a hanger bearing on New mounts further back.

OK, good to know. I think there's an Altezza and a Hilux drveshaft kicking around here that I could steal a hanger bearing from. Shouldn't be any issue with the front shaft being too short, right? I'd guess that there might be 200mm of tube for the front shaft if I use the standard hanger point. 

maybe get a super trap

-your video was sweet. Was lol when that laurel passed you. is that a drift car or something? didn't think anybody would race one of those

Hah, yeah that used to be a drift car. A friend built it, then his dad commandeered it to go racing (he was responsible for the horrible wing). It actually goes quite well with decent suspension, slicks and a good RB25DET package. They came to their senses and sold it - now they have an R32 GTR in the build.