Truenotch's BEAMS AE86 racecar discussion

Truenotch

Now that nats is over and I didn't make it to the trackday it's time to finish off the conversion :P .

We did some testing on the dyno with a makeshift cardboard air box and it made a huge difference to the fuel curve and moved the powerband up considerably, so I've started cutting more firewall to make way for a decent air box. It should be mostly done tomorrow if we get stuck in and then back on the dyno again soon.

Clutch was slipping on the dyno after a day of hot runs. Pulled it out and have sent the flywheel etc away to be machined and set up with a new disc. Should be good!

At least we know the engine and box are easy to get out - pretty handy to know!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just noticed something.

Are the mounts on the motor bolted further forward or in a factory position?

Trying to figure out how its mounted so rearward with what seems to be realitively standard mounting points.

It's as far back as you can go on the standard crossmember. Most corollas run them to the middle of the crossmember or nearer to the front to clear the firewall.

Factory mounts are quite far forward:

4a4adad7.jpg

Mine are quite far back and the crossmember is butchered:

2011-09-21%2B13.31.04.jpg

Mine might be 150mm further back than the average one I guess? The centre of the strut tops line up between cylinder 1 and 2.

Yeah just rivets between the front cap and the main plate. The outer plate is separate and will be bolted to the strut tower + joined at the seal at the bottom. The door seal works well for that part of it, but will need something else for the top.

393-588-large.jpg393-591-large.jpg

http://www.pararubber.co.nz/product.php?id_product=393

Can also buy door seal there, but the above is just a boot seal. With a bonnet that can move around a bit it's probably going to be the best option, but there is another option but I can't find it in a quick search. It is more heat resistant, which is the only thing I'd be concerned about with the door/boot seal, though it shouldn't be getting too hot with the cool flow of air in there.

Butted up to the bonnet for more volume... The #1 trumpet doesn't have a huge amount of space above it otherwise.

I bought some soft "noodle" because door seal wasn't working well - it needs to twist around on a few different planes and looked horrible. Noodle is the winner.