Unclejake's Fintail Mercedes

Thanks guys :D

There are a handfull of small jobs that need completeing. The rocker cover was warped so I need to beautify another one and fit it so it doesn't leak.

There is a small power steer leak from the power steer conversion I did, it needs a new exhaust as I ran out of money and had to fit the old one temporarily. the motor needs messing with. It is fully balanced, has the bigger S carbs, a high lift cam with vernier drive, XR8 exhaust valves, Chev V8 intake valves and a slightly flowed head - but it does not have the torque I was hoping for. With luck it just needs the cam timing adjusted but I can't take it to the engine builder until I have finished the doors as the temporary ones that are on there leak badly.

The proper doors will need a couple of hundred hours spent on the rebuilding everything including all new window channels and re-zinced regulators etc.

There are also two chips in the paintwork that need sorting and I don't know how I am going to tackle that.

As for paint product - the exterior of the car was taken back to bare steel and then bog added to the obvious low spots. Then four or six coats of spray bog was applied and hand sanded back with longboards. After the spraybog was completed four coats of two pack primer went on, wet sanded back to 800 grit in preparation for the top coats.

The top coats are four coats of Sikkens Autobase Plus and six or seven coats of Lessonal 4:1 two pack clearcoat. I must confess to have been less than thrilled with the Lessonal clear coat as it took a long time to go hard (several months) and I absolutely mixed everything correctly and had the temprature correct.

The interior and underside are all POR15ed (including inside the sills and inside all the other body cavities) and then the underside was undersealed using Teroson. I spent ages and ages trying to get the correct factory texture on the underseal as I was trying for concourse - but I gave up. All up I spent around $1,900 on paint materials.

The interior then had about 40 kgs of sound deadening applied (including the ceiling) as this car should be a flying mattress when finished. Silent and smooth. I painted the seats too - but the camera makes them look orange when infact they are red.

I probably won't have it finished this year as I want to get some Cortina action happening

Haha i have already sprent up to 1g on paint products on mine and its not even close to being done. Also where was this painted, please tell me it is a home job? So many people say you cant get a decent home paint job / i dont agree i beleive if you take your time and prepare well it can be done with good results.

Yeah boe - home job, but not my actual house as I don't have a garage so I rent one.

Dust and cold are your major enemies on a home spray job IMHO. I would love a spray booth hard but it will never happen. Lots of lights close to the steel heat the car up well and a bucket or two of water on the floor keeps some of the dust down