ColdTurkeys 240C wagon

pies

After you've looked for leaks (front cover, sump & rear main) I'd try changing the valve stem seals to fix the oil consumption before doing anything else serious. Does anybody know what happened to the Wats that used to be on it?

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm so wonder if any of you can tell me the origin's/previous experiences of the l26 thats in there at the moment?

Theres a lot of oil leaking out all over the place, most of which I reckon I could sort out (a lot seems to be out of the rocker cover gasket, around the mechanical fuel pump, maybe even a bit out of the head gasket, rear main etc). But I wonder if it is worth the effort if the engine doesnt have much life in it anyway?

Thinking of ripping the head off, replacing that stuff and the valve seals and slapping it back together.

2nd alternative, find another nother replacement L engine

3rd alternative, strip down and proper rebuild perhaps work out which is the best of the two blocks etc etc.

4th alternative, something more modern...

I'm guessing you are asking me LOL - the motor was good - out of the pink 260C in the build thread - if I bought it I was going to sort out the oil leaks and it'll be sweet. Its not fast but it never will be - its a cruiser...

Do the rocker cover gasket, front crankshaft seal and degrease it then recheck it - I suspect 90% of the leak is the front crankshaft seal. It was showing signs of leaking on the trip round the south island. It must have spat the dummy finally.

For the cost of those gaskets and degreaser you could save yourself a whole lot of heartache.

haha yeah man, I figured you were a good candidate, but its a os family affair!

cool thanks for that, you put my overactive worrying syndrome at ease.

Goes bloody well I reckon actually, especially for a 3 speed. 3rd gear seems to be good from 40kmph to 140kmph. Doesnt even feel like you are giving it death. Its amazing.

Runs a shitload better on 98 octane I noticed on the way down though, pity you cant get it down here. Kyteler used to know a guy down here that was the master at tuning the SU's, apparently and may be able to track him down. It would be the 2nd engine he has seen it on in the last x(?) years... as he tuned them originally on ky's engine.

Yeah I wouldn't lose sleep on it - the L24 is an option to rebuild the short block - but you want to use the L26 head on top of it if you rebuild a short block. The L24 ports are heaps smaller than the L26.

Yeah its funny on 3rd gear - the old L just pulls and pulls - I can tell you that 4000rpm is 77mph on it - I know cos I had a rev limit chip in the MSD and thats where the limiter came in..

If you are going to chip the MSD it is still configured for 8 cyl - so you need to divide the RPM on the chip by 6 and times by 8 to figure out what the rev limit actually will be.

To configure the MSD for 6 cyl involves snipping a wire through a very small hole and this devalues it if you ever decide to sell it because the wire is VERY VERY hard to rejoin..

Hey Low-rinse, (Sorry I can't remember which spelling your name is)

Now you own a sweet datsun, You really oughta make a plan to come up to chch for the NZdatsun nationals. And bring old man southern with you too.

Your mate Mikewazowski usually makes the trip too.

yup of course!, never you mind about that! I'll have to make sure mike goes too, havent seen him for a while now that I live down the bottom

In other news, I went digging for rust. Found some, but in all accounts shes pretty solid. Borrowing kyteler's mig and will sort most of it out. Stripped the interior and plans to sound deaden and carpet. Will also fix some rust and POR the boot area. Also ordered L26 bits and bobs that should hopefully help the oil crisis I have going on.

ooo. I might be in requirement of a head gasket, but I will see how I go with replacing the valve seals using the rope method. Probably get pissed off and just pull the head off.

edit: I did try buy a full head set from BNT but it was only listed as individual parts so I just got the ones I think I need. Meh.

Check boot lid for rust and sell to Richy..

BTW - that car was for sale with a fully reconditioned L28 and about a million gasket sets for some daft price a while back (when I first bought the car if I remember correctly)

Its in Gore is it? I remember the wool covers having been stitched to the seats was in the sell lines..