unclejake mk1

davidian

Why did you change the exhaust tunnel?

The old tunnel was enormous and was designed to accept a megaphone and a Vortex Flowmaster muffler. I could never get the car to put out power over 7,000rpm so after changing carbs, ignition systems and various other things I decided to eliminate the megaphone. Result = instant power to almost 8,000rpm.

Therefore the old tunnel was much bigger than required and was made out of steel with a removeable alloy lid. It probably weight about 4kgs so I cut it off and am replacing it with one that will be about 2 kgs :)

I should finish that this week

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what size exhaust did you find to be too large on your engine?

The megaphone was a complex thing that probably flared out to four inches at its largest point.

The current more orthodox exhaust is 2 1/2 inch and it seems to work well.

I don't build my own engines anymore and the engine builder is really keen to try a 2 inch exhaust. I think he is probably right. The motor is 1650cc and probably has an absolute maximum power output of about 165hp (that remains to be proven).

2 - 2 1/4inch exhaust sounds about righ to me - but it will require new custom made headers which I am unable to fund at the moment.

Whoa 4 inch at the largest point lol sounds impressive. Good that you got rid of that.

When I got a 2 1/2 in mine everyone freaked out about it being too big. I tend to agree but the exhaust and tuner people that encouraged me in to it seemed to think it would be ideal. Its pipe bent though so I imagine a mandrel 2 1/4 would be ideal.

I'd say the same for yours probably. Ideal would be a nicely made 2 1/4 if you're aiming for 165hp. That little bit would probably offer a small weight saving throughout the length of the exhaust aswell.

• 1 month later...
Surprised to be honest that you havent cut the extra seams/joins for the inner rear guards, and along the inner supports (where the paneling would normally go) above them. Also the parcel tray :lol::rolleyes:

Cheers,Chris

Rule # 12: Lightening of the body shell will be confined to the doors, bonnet and boot and any unused ancliary brackets. No other material may be removed.

:(

love the oil warning light!

do you really think drilling all those holes reduced much weight? I did that to a bonnet of mine once and the weight savings was F/all.

if you saved up all the filings and put them in a bag and weighed it do you think you might be disappointed?

..probably save more weight by taking a dump before the race starts. :wink:

I know pretty much exactly how much weight has been saved by various things. Drilling all the interior holes saved about 900 grams. Really not worth the energy but I had no money and nothing better to do for that month and it looks cool.

My new bonnet and boot showed up about ten days ago - they are so thin you can see light through them but the bonnet will probably collapse at speed without a bit more bracing.

Old fibreglass bonnet = a touch over 7kgs. New fibreglass bonnet = 3.1kgs unpainted.

Defecateing before the race in addition to drilling the holes is the best combination.

Selective choice of where to defecate can also disturb the competition's state of mind :twisted: