unclejake mk1

davidian

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That Mk1 is SORTED!!

Merc is tuff as. That red carpet contrasting with the black looks real mean.

Reading in the other thread about the time/money you have spend on it. Thats a pretty mean achievement. Sounds like its a new car!! Would like to see it some day

Reading in the other thread about the time/money you have spend on it. Thats a pretty mean achievement. Sounds like its a new car!! Would like to see it some day

To be honest I lost my head a bit when doing the Merc. It started as a quick backyard re-spray as it is my wife's car and she didn't like the original green but it ended up as a concourse attempt.

I tried to talk her into silver so I didn't need to get the body as good but she had her cold heart set on black.

I found a few recent repairs done by The Surgery - multipule plates riveted together and then tack welded to make up the sills etc. so I had to take the entire thing back to bare steel to sort it properly. Then I got retarded and started sourcing the correct Mercedes fabrics from all over the globe, and Mercedes stamped radiator hoses etc.

Then I found myself spending nights and nights on end lying on my back trying to replicate the correct factory underseal texture. Oh - then I set it on fire by accident and burnt out the hoodlining and some of the roof (don't drink and weld) so I had to start again.

I think it is better than new now but I still have to finish the doors. The doors that are on it were done very very quickly for a mate's wedding. After that I lost the will to live and we worked on the Anglia for a while and now I am not touching any cars until June. The Mercedes doors will be a winter project and by then I might have become sane again - but probably not.

The really dumb thing is that neither of our oldschool cars are actually worth much comparted to what has gone into them.

A mercedes is a good car to restore as just about everything is still available from Mercedes. The bad bit is that unless you choose your project model very carefully you will waste 80% of the money you pour into it as not many classic Mercedes are worth more than about $15k ATM.

Regards,

UJ

The Surgery did a bodgy repair on it you say.... hrmm not the first time I have heard something similar :S

Beautiful Merc though, just oozes class from everywhere!

And I don't think any of us really consider resale when we do our cars... it's all about doing what you like, keeping yourself satisfied I reckon, regardless (to a degree) of what it costs in time, money, sanity etc.

That an impressive build alright. One I will have to see in person.

That mk1 is absolutely awesome aswell. I didn't read the thread untill I saw there were finny pictures in it, but I realise what I was missing out on now.

Those rear guards on the cortina, what work was involved in those? I see there has been a cruved arch added, but have you also widened the actual guard/lip what ever you call it around the wheel? Thats something along the lines of what I'm trying to get a mate to do at the moment on another vehicle. Looks good I reckon!

Where abouts did you source all your parts from? eg: Rubber seals clips all the tricky to find bits??

Most of it came from Mercedes (I just rocked up to the local dealer's spare parts section) and other stuff I got from eBay. There is always someone selling off new old stock W11 crap in Germany and most of them Zpeaken der English and are bloody helpfull

Those rear guards on the cortina, what work was involved in those? I see there has been a cruved arch added, but have you also widened the actual guard/lip what ever you call it around the wheel? Thats something along the lines of what I'm trying to get a mate to do at the moment on another vehicle. Looks good I reckon!

The front flares are hacked off a Corolla KE70 front and the rear flares are modified front guards from a Mk4 Cortina. The bulge was hand beaten into the Mk4 donor steel and then welded in place (after tubbing the rear wheel wells and catting away the Mk1 steel)

A thickish coat of bog was required to get them dead right as there was a bit of shrinkage involved and lots of distortion in the Mk1 guards.

Not a small job I am afraid.............

• 4 weeks later...

Fuck me!! that's beautiful!!! :cry: I want to see it!!!!

Thanks for the photos... I'm gunna have to get my shit together now... I feel ashamed to have my merc in such shit condition... mind you, you should see the other one!! :D

btw... I think the finny should have it's own build thread!

• 2 weeks later...

OMG!

that mk1 is something gorgeous.looks so tidy and clean. and those awesome looking arches!

remains me again why i love fords so much .

it appears I enjoy building them more than I enjoy driving them

lolz.

treat it like a beautiful woman.dont just look at her. :)