davidian

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Cool, likes like its coming together well.. and with nice shiny light parts :P

I see you unbolted the cage from the rare guards etc. Does it come apart at the top or is it a welded unit that needs to come out in 1 piece? Is it chromoly or steel?

The existing cage is steel. The main hoop and rear stays are one piece - only to two front stays come off. I can get it in and out of the car if there are no seats in the way.

A chromemolly cage is in the planning stages but the car will probably go back together with the steel cage first.

There are O/S Nationals to think off!

Good man.

I was pricing up half cages. A dude in Te Awamutu thinks he can get a half cage with side intrusion bars for around $700 and chromoly for additional $200, possibly a little more.

He said the price goes up alot to get the full cage in with A piller to floor/guard but I was quite impressed with that pricing.

He also showed me a section of chromoly and the same length of steel. Chromoly isn't super light, but we all know how much steel weighs. Looked like it would be deffinately worth it.

He can do it in 2mm rather than 3mm also, which needs to be checked and complied by an engineer to ensure its strong enough or something. Oh and the other thing is that apparantly because chromoly is so brittle it can weaken after afew years of use so needs to be replaced.. ?

I don't know about them getting brittle with just age. It is a bit out of my field of expertise.

A full cage in Chrome Molly will be between $2,500 - $3,500 (homologated) from someone down here and would be 3 - 5kgs lighter if I recall properly.

It will have to wait as I would rather have new wheels

Thats so pricy aye. I can't see how a road legal half cage can be around $1000 but just to do that extra bit down the a piller to firewall etc ups the price to around $3000.. just doesn't make sense.

Fair enough though if you already have a homologated steel cage in there its not really worth spending those thousands just for that weight just yet.

I got a mate who swears he can hook me up with some guy in Welly who will do a $400 half cage or $500ish cromoly half. As per the rule he could be all shit as I havnt tried following it any more. If you guys want numbers I can try help.

Gaz

Sorry to be a bit o/t here but theres this guy on trademe (well think its an actual business, I've forgotten the name of the place) that makes kitset ones, all you need to do it weld them in , does 1/2 cages & full cages for alot of cars..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... ber=956037

Oh yea, Cortina is looking lovely, just out of interist how much weight have you saved, have you been weighing it before & after? Or even just the likes of the metal scraps that you've cut out...

Cheers,Chris

Oh yea, Cortina is looking lovely, just out of interist how much weight have you saved, have you been weighing it before & after? Or even just the likes of the metal scraps that you've cut out...

Cheers,Chris

Chur boe. If I can manage to find some light wheels I think I will loose 58.5kgs. That will finiosh the car at just over 780kgs dripping wet - still too heavy to be really competitive but an improvement. To get the car lighter again I will need to relax a bit on the presentation (read remove bog) which I am not prepared to do as I am so vain.

Yes - I weigh everything. I am 100% obsessed/anorexic/retarded/have no life etc.

Some things just aren't worth spending the time on - but I do them anyway and some things will probably break - so when they do I will drill less holes in the new one.

Rocket Surgery FTW :D

You skinned the bonnet and boot ? Oh yea, do you also have polycarbonate windows (lexan) around it, they save alot of weight and are super strong (can bounce sledge hammers off them)

From memory arent you allowed to replace the guards & bonnets with F/glass items so long as the weigh a certain amount?

780kgs is a pretty good effort, you just use a hole saw for most of those holes you've drilled? & A Drill bit for the smaller ones (hinges etc etc)

Ooo And finally what type of seat you using, Kirkey's are alloy, damn strong and lightweight (pretty damn comfy too)

Cheers,Chris

You skinned the bonnet and boot ? Oh yea, do you also have polycarbonate windows (lexan) around it, they save alot of weight and are super strong (can bounce sledge hammers off them)

From memory arent you allowed to replace the guards & bonnets with F/glass items so long as the weigh a certain amount?

780kgs is a pretty good effort, you just use a hole saw for most of those holes you've drilled? & A Drill bit for the smaller ones (hinges etc etc)

Ooo And finally what type of seat you using, Kirkey's are alloy, damn strong and lightweight (pretty damn comfy too)

Cheers,Chris

Bonnet and boot = fibreglass. They are light and don't have to be the same weight as the originals. Guards can be made from fibreglass but do have to be the same weight as originals. The guard rule is to make replacement guards more available.

Glazing = cheap acrylic that scratches when you look at it hard. It is a lot lighter than glass and also easier to drill/screw/rivit etc.

Seat = Racetech 4000. Got too scared to use a Kirky. Even though they are legal etc. I can't imagine an alloy shell being quite as safe as a fibreglass one. Probably wrong but that is the way it went. Broken spine = FTL

Hole saw is for everything and everything is for the holesaw.

Got new bumpers coming too.... but that can be another project update :idea:

• 4 weeks later...

Well - a new bonnet and boot lid arrived last week.

I already have fibreglass ones but I wanted the extra light fibreglass ones. They arrived and the box felt heavy. I put the new ones on the scales and they are heavier than the ones I already had!

Shit.

Anyway - the crowd that made them has done some calculations and the new ones have been sent back and they will replace them for what I originally wanted. I probably need to wait another 2 weeks or so but there is plenty of other things left to do - such as welding in the new exhaust tunnel.