PAINT THREAD

dylan

Yea I have started putting something together about all this shit so we don't have to repeat ourselves a thousand time in this thread. Wrote about epoxy primer then 2k high build and it was like 3 pages in word, that's only the start haha, not fun. Anyway I'll blurt something out and hopefully some of the pro's on here can add their 2 cents and tidy it up

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the killrust, worked ok, and seemed happiest straight on bare metal. Havnt used POR15 tho.

thin it out about 20% (with turps) and it seems to stick better, dry smoother and go further/creep into cracks, you will need multi coats tho and make sure its dry before trying to recoat (it takes aaaages to dry) or you will peel off your previous coat with the brush.

I found if you slap it on thick it can peel or chip off, esp if its over primer (even the wattyl killrust primers)

wattyl killrust seems to work pretty well too. i think its cheaper than por15 and way way less gay at going off in the tin.

I've got tins of por15 in the cupboard that are years old. Glad wrap over the tin, then bash the lid on, seems to do the trick. Also have multiple colours of hammerite, so many old car related paints...

Forgot to ask.... what are good cavity wax products? Wanting to do inside chassis rails, inside sills etc after i've painted the underside. Prefer something that doesn't smell like fish / isn't super spendy. I assume it's a good idea to put it anywhere rust may want to live?

It's for the areas you don't paint AFAIK. Like the insides of doors / panels are often done in the factory. Inhibits corrosion. I want to do inside of my sills and other similar areas that water can get into and just sit. But it's not practical to paint etc.

I was in Spray Store today getting marine clean and metal ready but completely forgot to ask about wax >_<