PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this one will be for the clued up ones on painting.i got given a tin of international paints "interthane 990",ex army spec green.what i cant find is what type of paint it is.its very old so could be enamel,but i have no idea.any of you knowledgeable gentlemen able to help me out??

how old? 3 years id be wary 4 years id look at other options 5 year+ wouldnt bother

the longer the paint sits on the shelf the softer it will be when 'cured' ie i used some 4 year old 2k about 6 months ago, baked it 3 times and still to this day its a little chewy

one coat of your choice of paint then lots of spray on underseal and cavity wax

Yea exactly that, some black industrial (ie cheap) 2K would be my bet, use it for all engine/chassis bits and pieces, just take the time to prep it well. If you trust your blasters I have given my paint system to them before and got them to spray the 2K topcoat on wet over the epoxy as it saves me a stage of sanding. It usually is orange peely as fuck but worries if its only chassis/suspension bits, it sets just as hard as POR 15 etc for a fraction of the cost

• 2 months later...

Anyone recommend an epoxy primer?

Want to seal up the good metal while a few door patches are done, then once done will hit with the sander and blast another full seal coat on there before the high-build goes on.

Anyone got hook ups/work in the industry?

resene durepox 2k

tough, flexible and comes in satin black

Was looking at durapox 2k primer spec sheet last night as have heard good things

However "free sanding 2-pack epoxy urethane primer" sounds more like a high build, Will this actually seal the steel off from the outside world?

once its cured you can overcoat with any primer you want, wouldn't bother adding more coats after working unless you plan on leaving it for a while before starting paint stuff

tbh id go for mipa filler/high build primer. cheap enough and nice to work with

• 4 weeks later...

I'm after a product I can brush on the underside of my car, before I underseal it. Underside will be free of any old underseal and with be a mix of painted and unpainted surface.

Spraying is not an option, not at home anyway which is the easiest place for me to get things done. 

Product recommendations?

Got por15 but it isn't really rusty at all, so not sure it's all that suited. PA10 looks like the go, single pack, brush on, and looks to stick to most things. I imagine a few coats of that should be sweet to be top coated with underseal? Being a primer though, what product would I brush on top if underseal can't go straight on it?

Wattyl kill rust looks like it might also do the trick. Worst case scenerio would be metal primer, then top coat. Any experiences with that? http://www.wattyl.co.nz/Killrust/Pages/home.aspx Would be easier to source (via mate) than PA10.