Crazy Rich's V8 Capri

Toucan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

looking good man, i got a real soft spot for the ol capris, my last mk1 was painted a greeny/silver colour, fiat silver jade was the name i think, your booster fits nice i got the same set up in the esky, keep it up man, hope to see it when i down your way

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

i learnt today from my clever race car mechanic why they put one shock in front and one shock behind the diff, its something they started doing in the late 60's. He has a 68 camaro with both in front but the models after that have one in front and one behind, we've got a 68 mustang with both in front and the models after that have one in front one behind.

Its to reduce axle tramp, the axle torques up against the two shocks and it takes alot of that rotational movement out of it.

Just FYI anyway.

wicked project though dude, i always wanted a v8 capri

yeah, i guess that'd explain it, rather cheap way of fixing the problem thats for sure.

got any advice on 4 linking Dan? been doing a bit of research today, my main concerns are

-having enough room for the top arms as I want to retain a useable rear seat

-being able to use urethane rod ends yet still having adjustable length arms as I do not want it to be excessively noisy, and you know what nz roads are like.

-being able to engineer a turret of sufficient strength to support the forces of the spring without a roll cage.

- would using the front leaf mounts in the body to mount the lower arms work?, I also have upper mounts where the swaybar/anti tramp rods did mount, though I think that would make the top arms too short.

I'm not really open to the idea of a triangulated 4-link / satchel design as I'm going to run a panhard rod anyway, and dont like their binding tendencies.

running adjustable height coilovers in the rear is an obvious choice, but due to the front tyre being so close to my strut, and my unwillingless to want to ruin the look of the car with flares, I dont think i'll get them in the front easily, which makes putting them in the back seem rather ridiculous.

just throwing a few ideas around at the moment, thinking along the lines that if I have to put some new turrets in they may as well be strong enough to support coilovers if I decided to use them at a later date.

at the end of the day it is just a street car, but installing a more predictable rear end cant be a bad thing. its just a case of how far do I go?

dont bother rich

if you want to keep the rear seat and still

have it ride nice i would just leave the rear set up as it is

just new bushes and you can still turret it if you want.

just get the turret kit from palmside $175 i think

and then you can run a good set of shocks.

and the turret kit just welds to you wheel tub

and is still good with out a cage and if you are worried

juat make your self a strut brace for between them

dan

• 4 weeks later...

hey rich,

not sure if you remember me or not, I also have a 1uz/fe capri, and I've got a g series toyota diff to go into it. I've got a fairly similar problem too you, 'which of the billions of different ways do I do this'

I think i've got a solution, which deals with the wheel clearance, and shock tower weakness, issues.

but it's pretty hard to explain without drawing a pic, I'll try anyway.

Ignore the shock towers, just put a seal on them and leave em alone.

run the four forward links, two off the where the springs used to attach, and two off where the sway bar used to attach. create a hang down system for the center locator bars.

then put a dowel through rear chassis rail, each side, behind the diff, and a bracket on the other side off the rail (inside). run a QA1 type shock off that, and link it up to a bracket which is 'behind' the diff housing, and 'slightly' below the diff, on the back of it, on each side. around 200mm in from the end of the housing.

Should give a much better ride than the other alternatives.