For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is this - regarding cert for engine mods..

The following illustrate significant modifications that require LVV Certification:

An engine that is not of the same type and specification as fitted when the vehicle was manufactured

An engine modification that significantly increases the engine's horsepower (i.e., in excess of 20%)

Wayne Martin once told me (10 or 12 years back) that you could bolt and many carbs as you like on your engine without the need for cert.

Think of the ramifications though. Fit a nice cam, edelbrock air gap manifold, A 750 dominator carb,and a decent set of headers to a SBM and you'd be up over 20% easily.

Exactly... But 20% increase would hardly be noticeable to the average mechanic... If he was seriously going to have a problem at one WOF palce I would just take my car elsewhere for its WOF's..

However if it really got up and boogied then I would start to think a cert is necessary - as most sensible people would be upgrading brakes etc at the same time - as such the brake mods would be the more likely reason for needing a cert...

Hi Cetus.

These Milton steering arms to adapt MK2 Cortina Struts into an Anglia, Can they be used legaly in NZ?

They are two pieces welded together by the looks.

arm_new.jpg

Thanks.

if you are keen to get some in, i would fire this guy an email justin@lvvta.org.nz.

and send him some pics. they look ok to me, the welding isnt in a high load area by the looks of it, its holding the spacer on and the taper for the ball joint in but theres not much load on it in that configuration. would also need a bump steer check which has to be done by a 1D certifier.

My understanding is this - regarding cert for engine mods..
The following illustrate significant modifications that require LVV Certification:

An engine that is not of the same type and specification as fitted when the vehicle was manufactured

An engine modification that significantly increases the engine's horsepower (i.e., in excess of 20%)

this is pretty much it

not sure how a wof guy especially at a testing station, where they dont drive the car, would accurately measure 20% with their arse dyno. i guess they could ask for a dyno sheet if there was any doubt

the exception to this is turbo cars. any time a turbo is changed for a bigger one or an ecu is 'chipped' , external wastegate fitted, needs certing, regardless of percentage increase

from wikipedia

The standard version of the 265 produced 203 hp (151 kW) @ 4600 rpm and 262 lb·ft (355 N·m) of torque @ 2800 rpm.

The top of the line performance engine in the E49 Chargers produced 302 hp (225 kW) @ 5600 rpm and 320 lb·ft (434 N·m) of torque @ 4400 rpm

Bart, i guess the wof guy is correct if your mates engine is similar to E49 spec

the exception to this is turbo cars. any time a turbo is changed for a bigger one or an ecu is 'chipped' , external wastegate fitted, needs certing, regardless of percentage increase

If you'd done any of that and not gained 20% more power something would be seriously wrong!

Fake edit: I know external wastegates don't increase power themselves, but reducing the turbulence caused by wastegate gases re-joining the exhaust flow right at the turbine exit (90% of factory setups) makes a significant difference to exhaust restriction and thus, power.

So I'm looking at starting the cert process, both repair and mod. I've spoken with a repair cert guy and he quoted $100 to get started. Once I start with this guy am I stuck with him? If he is a douce or kells over etc what can I do? Hypothetical of coarse!

So I'm looking at starting the cert process, both repair and mod. I've spoken with a repair cert guy and he quoted $100 to get started. Once I start with this guy am I stuck with him? If he is a douce or kells over etc what can I do? Hypothetical of coarse!

Who is it?