For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding rim widths / tyres sizes.

Rims = 11" bead to bead but 12" overall. 

Bead to bead width is proper measurement so the tyre shops claim. What measurement does the cert man take when checking to see the tyres are correctly fitted?

10665879_10203792966457921_3577451853568

I'm hoping i can get away with a 295/35 as a 315/30 is awefully expensive and lets be honest here, tyres aren't going to last that long..

Quietly, you could look at running Falkens, they can be supplied with 1/2" "stretch" complete with signed paperwork from the Manufacturer. That way the smallest you can run would be a 255/40r18.. (Provided they make that size)

Inside bead to bead is the correct measurement.

Question regarding driveshaft hoops.

In my z20, the standard engine was a 7mgte, so litre turbo.

Im planning on putting in either a 2jzge or 1jzge, so non turbo. Would i be required to use driveshaft hoops for cert?

if the driveshaft is standard and not modified, and a 2 or 1j makes less powers than the original engine, then no

• Like 1

What is defined as a significant increase in power? I have increased the power for my VK from 54kw (Starfire) to 114kw (RB30) (Wikipedia KW spec LoLzz) so yes that is a 'significant' increase in that respect but as the rb30 was factory in a VL (pretty much the same as VK) and the motors stock, it's not really a significant increase for the body?

So hoop required or nah?

Starting to get car ready for cert so Yee

And that bit about #43? Fs010. It's mostly a bolt in swap with all factory components bar the gearbox xmembers which is a homemade affair. So that means its not under that umbrella?

its the increase over what it originally had, (over 50%) so you would need loops.

ignore that bit about #43, thats to do with the layout of the checksheet we use and the process of the cert inspection

• Like 1

How about a V8 conversion where all bolt in stuff was used from a car of the same model which had been factory fitted with a V8?

had a look at a commode today, that "was a v6 originally and its had a v8 swapped into it"

hmm. can see where the ss badges were on the boot and doors

those rivets on the chassis tags dont look original, and theres little scratches on the one that lives under the windscreen

its a 2002 and its only done 12,000km

the details and stuff on the front page of the owners manual has been ripped out

oh, and someones attacked the engine number with a chisel

and if you can get the cops to say thats all ok, then it needs driveshaft loops, lol

• Like 8

had a look at a commode today, that "was a v6 originally and its had a v8 swapped into it"

hmm. can see where the ss badges were on the boot and doors

those rivets on the chassis tags dont look original, and theres little scratches on the one that lives under the windscreen

its a 2002 and its only done 12,000km

the details and stuff on the front page of the owners manual has been ripped out

oh, and someones attacked the engine number with a chisel

and if you can get the cops to say thats all ok, then it needs driveshaft loops, lol

Are you bound to report something like this when you believe the tags have been swapped?

I think that was in the literature somewhere as well.

I think it puts you in a bit of a bind as I imagine some people you'd really rather not rat on!

Reminds me of my commodore. The vin tag under the screen didnt match the rego plate. After removing the windscreen i see that someone had cut a slot in the foam that goes between the body and the screen and slipped another ID tag in there.

Lucky for me the old original id tag was still underneath. Fitted a new screen and i was away. 

Truth is i had no idea the tag had been changed. You wouldn't even know. Something to be wearing about when buying commodores. 

Edit; i should mention my car was a stolen recovered vehicle from Turners auctions sold to me with a clear title.

Are you bound to report something like this when you believe the tags have been swapped?

I think that was in the literature somewhere as well.

I think it puts you in a bit of a bind as I imagine some people you'd really rather not rat on!

as far as certifiers are concerned, we have to refer the vehicle to a TSDA (vinz/aa/vtnz that does re reg) for validation of the vehicle id

there is a form wof inspectors can fill out if they find something dodgy as well

theres a tech article about this stuff if you are interested

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/43031-tips-for-avoiding-dodgy-cars/

If i import a fresh import with no paperwork and cut out the chassis numbers and plate them them in can i get it vinned?

Or what if i replace the whole firewall to give it the smooth look (still no chassis numbers) can i get it vinned?

Or what if i find a roof from a wreckers, some doors boot and bonnet at pick a part, some rear quarters from zebra a floor and nose cut from another wrecker and make my own firewall with no vin numbers, get the rest of the parts new from a car dealership can i get it vinned ?

Even if i buy all the parts new from a dealership can i get it vinned ?

Now back to my first question, what if i import an import with no papers, replace the whole firewall and say i built the whole car from new and used parts. Who would know ?

I hope you like my story

• Like 2

I interested in the rules with welding on vechicles for certs etc.

I see you have to pass a test for the lvvta tester on some things but not others etc but then a few mates iv talked to just took lots of photos or got things x rayed and it was good enough. 

Mainly for shortening a diff and rewelding all the mounts and adding say a base plate for an air bag who can do this? and what if something was done before you have owned. 

Also for welding up / fabricting engine mounts  and gear box x member whats the go.

oh and is i where to notch the chassis is it allright to take say a 30-40mm notch out and box up the remaining section to restrengthen in as id only need around an inch or 2 something similar to sheepers crown i suppose

Im also asking about welding but on calliper mounts can they be made of components welded together or do they have to be made out of one solid piece of steel. here's a pic of what ive started with all tacked up and I was planning to flux core weld them and the steel is 10mm thick. Im a qualified welder aswell.

20140915_2119321_zps469d9548.jpg