Thousand [2150?] Dollar Supercar's 1988 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7QV

V8Pete

... leaking exhaust.

header_hole2.jpg

Well done that man! :D

Just found this on the top surface further down the sooty cylinder's primary header pipe, not around the cylinder head where I'd been looking. I first thought it was tar, but it's a hole, see? http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/alfa33/header_hole1.jpg

Now where can I buy high temp duct tape? :wink:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could last anywhere from a couple months to a couple of years - the current pipe work doesn't looked totally stuffed and flaky..

The photo just shows typical exhaust scale rust which generally indicates the metal is thick enough to take a blat with the mig..

That section of the current pipework is about the worst. It also looks as though the hole could have been made by the exhaust hitting that suspension mounting point as I grounded the chassis out doing jumps?

118108ss_sm2.jpg

Anyway, the headers are the only partially original section of the exhaust system left. I asked for a disconnection point to be installed just after them, to allow for their removal (for that overdue engine work I'm gonna do one day!). I've got no issue getting them replaced if required, but I'll need to bodge them for Nats. Will try to get to an exhaust shop.

I have a 91 Citroen BX with an OS sticker.. LOL

You win by three whole years! Plus the 33 is basically a '70s car, whereas (tidy) BXs come from the future of lasers and spaceships.

BX_Digit_tdb_T.jpg

bx16v_07.jpg

Can't wait to have fwd boxer battles with this and Keltiks hatchback.

The Alfa's gonna suck at the gymkhana - the steering's too heavy at low speed and I must conserve the clutch. If it's wet, my tires are too worn and if I have to shift into reverse on the course, you've already won..