Thousand [2150?] Dollar Supercar's 1988 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7QV

V8Pete

As seen at Nats 2011, series 1 grille is fitted and I couldn't resist painting some of the mesh.

But now I need new tires.

These wheels are on Trademe, with tires, for $460:

155wheels.jpg

They're from an Alfa 155, which means they'll have the correct 4x98 bolt pattern. They're 15s, whereas my current blinged-up standard rims are 14s.

Shall I bother to pursue them?

Also, lol at standard ride height in the photo above. It was taken in 2004 and I don't have a graphics program good enough to fix it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Yay- updates. Oven trays. 1001 uses. I have even cooked on them. I'm glad you have got your fettling mojo back. See- its fun!

wouldn't mind taking this car for a spin and see what they are like. My workmate has a 33 that he chopped the roof off and made a pretty bloody ugly convertible out of. It has cheap round trailer lights, like a poor mans alteza or something. They don't add to it.

wouldn't mind taking this car for a spin and see what they are like. My workmate has a 33 that he chopped the roof off and made a pretty bloody ugly convertible out of. It has cheap round trailer lights, like a poor mans alteza or something.

All 33s are different, especially by this age and with mods. So as long as you don't condemn them all because of the mess I've made of mine... :P

I have considered doing the cheap round trailer lights thing one day when the rust around my rear lights gets too much. Got any photos? ;)

Paint that gauge pannel black- this cars too classy for oven tray

Black you say? But I spent a while wire brushing and sanding the panel and stamping on ants so they wouldn't climb in the wet clear coat I've now sprayed it with. I might be able to photoshop it black to see what it would look like though.

As of this afternoon the voltage gauge and TACHO are working in the new panel, which is sitting loosely in the car. The first problem is the new LEDs I scavenged for the voltage gauge are too bright, and that's the only gauge without a dimming function. I will reluctantly address this while everything's still apart.

Random happening of the day - I mixed too much Araldite, so I decided to glue in the center section of chin spoiler which is reknown for falling off. Then at dusk I set off to the supermarket, predictably distracted by the sparkly LEDs on my dash. I don't even make it out of my street when at the last moment I notice a cat sitting in the road and not attempting to run out of the way. All I can do is aim at the cat, so as to miss it with my tires. The cat thumps under the car but I saw it sprinting off in my mirrors with all limbs intact. I get to my destination to find my chin spoiler section is hanging off with one of its clips now broken. Why, cat, why?

• 3 weeks later...

What sort of cat? A soft fluffy one that would normally be spotted adornong a biscuit tin lid or a hard as nails brutish moggy with a chip on its shoulder and a penchant for destroying spoilers?

I think the second one.

I definitely think the cat did it on purpose. He was probably running off to his mates to say "See that? It was lowered too. Who's the hardest moggy on the block? Now pay up."

I scoured Bunnings, Mitre 10 and Hammer Hardware for stainless steel button head cap bolts...

socket-button-head-cap-screws-250x250.jpg

..but the closest I found were square drive pan head screws:

31BOFnEdjzL._SL500_AA300_PIcountsize-5000,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

So because I need bolts, the existing ugly ones will stay for now. :P

My local Hammer Hardware stays in business thanks to Lotto sales. One of the branches of Llama's guys is near my work - I'll try to make it there at some point, as I've found my existing bolts could do with being longer.

On Sunday I fired up the AFR gauge for the first time. The sensor's not installed yet but its cable was long enough to poke it up the exhaust tip for a test. My idle mixture scores in the healthy low 12s - that'll be what the petrol smell's about. ;)

Disappointed to find I must have used a bit much 'metal sealer' clear coat on the oven tray gauge panel - it's gone yellowish where the coating's too thick. Would be a real pain to redo now because I glued the LEDs in. But there are bigger things to worry about with 40 odd days to go.

• 1 month later...
Guest yoeddynz

Does your wrinkle finish paint smell of spue? Mine does. weird. Would definitely not want it in the cabin.

That's a mighty fine piece of dirt you picked out from the carb. I hope its in a little glass jar on mantle piece.

Guest Thousand Dollar Supercar

Wrinkle paint smell of spew? Not that I noticed. My cabin smells of new plastic vinyl seat covers and occasionally of coolant (when the heater's running). Hmm.

I think the piece of dirt in the carb might have been decayed fuel hose, and it has probably been there for a while.

This evening I did some cleaning and gluing and weatherproofing, and I pulled the spark plugs again and gapped them properly with my new feeler gauges. I have also taken out the shrunken and warped gaskets which sit on top of my carbs - I'm gonna make some new ones which won't act like air restrictors. Still so much to do without even thinking about packing.