Tomble's adorable go cart / distraction / Alto Works

tomble

8 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

Have your looked under the sofa or behind the fridge? That's where stuff often goes to hide. 

I found myself literally plucking my garage trash bin one item at a time and running a magnet through the very full shop vac bag v.v

It's super annoying. This $4 piece of metal that I totally remember holding at one point has gone walkies, yet I made very sure that everything Alto has a defined place in the garage. I've exhausted all the normal places, the dumb places, the super dumb places, the "out there" places, and now it's in "a mouse made away with it" or "it got knocked off the bench and lodged in someone's shoe grooves" levels of dumb places it could be.

• Haha 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Doug Hill said:

You can make a new woodruff key yourself with a little bit of key stock. If you send me the width/length I may have a bit here I can send 

pPOsw6X.png

Took the best caliper measurements I could to produce the shape in cad.

xjqL8OU.png

b6tVkxd.png

The ends may or may not be boxed or the curves might continue all the way to the end, I don't recall, but it has a long flat base rather than a curve all the way along its length. I took rough measurements of where the curve finishes and becomes flat at each end.

edit: based on the shape I think it's more likely to be a simple square key actually, that doesn't sit in the curved parts of the keyway... maybe doesn't have rounded ends at all? 

p6fViOR.png

edit 2: the part number comes up with some images, seems square

k1aAMfL.png

re5ehiv.png

8pbzQ6S.png

edit 3: yeah I'm a dummy, should have just checked the manual to confirm its shape

3rXwj6S.png

I contacted Jesse Streeter and because of the japanese holiday week it's going to be a month :(. 

Tomorrow I'm going to hit up Suzuki ATV wreckers and maybe I'll get lucky.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 15:36, Doug Hill said:

You can make a new woodruff key yourself with a little bit of key stock. If you send me the width/length I may have a bit here I can send 

21 hours ago, tomble said:

<3 I'll get some measurements in the morning. I'll also call around on Monday to see if any motorcycle shops or ATV wreckers or whatever have one available. In the mean time I've pushed the button to get one from Japan (right as we enter their holiday week...)

Looks pretty simple to make, ive made them for other applications with a grinder and a mill in the past

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tomble said:

lodged in someone's shoe grooves" levels of dumb places it could be.

One time I also lost one I put in a very special place, and searched the entire garage one item at a time

I got a new one

When I went to install it, the old one was in the way.... 

I had checked that too, so I'm obviously a target of gangstalking because it was impossible

Anyway

20240429_075203.thumb.jpg.67e64caabe34eebc0e7ccd3c3dc7d7d7.jpg

This is more like 4.7, so maybe too big? 

I got it from a local bearing/engineering supplier, they have a range of lengths in different sizes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The other day I was removing the gearbox and a big bellhousing bolt dropped to the floor. I heard it ding. I looked for it and couldn't not find it anywhere. I kept going back to the same spots to look, even though I knew I'd looked before, just in case I'd missed it. I had a spare bolt but I was getting so annoyed at not being able to find this one. It just had to be found. I called upon hannah to help look. Vacuumed under benches, shone lights everywhere. Fuck. How could it have gone far. 

In the end hannah found it. It had bounced off the floor and into a shelf area at the bottom of the wheelie tool box nearby. It was just sitting there, on the edge of the shelf, laughing at me the whole time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

I had a spare bolt but I was getting so annoyed at not being able to find this one. It just had to be found. I called upon hannah to help look. Vacuumed under benches, shone lights everywhere. Fuck. How could it have gone far. 

That's exactly how I feel. Girlface is trying to get me to let it go but IT MUST BE FOUND. Its absence is an affront to reality.

• Haha 2