Tomble's adorable go cart / distraction / Alto Works

tomble

• 2 weeks later...

I finally sucked my stomach in and pulled the dashcam sd card.

As remembered, there's nothing spicy. Just a car that was already eating bearing material encountering its limit while being pushed hard. Unhappy noises start around 0:21~. I'm really happy I was right before the exit to the pits.

The cut at 1:00 is from the car stalling. I didn't have the presence of mind to think to push it the rest of the way, but the track guy thought I'd stopped it intentionally and told me to keep it moving, so he probably wouldn't have let me anyway. Definitely should have pushed it back into the bay once I got there but I was a shaky mess and didn't know what was up so giving myself a pass there.

It's funny how dashcams make everything look slow and the cars in front super far away. I mean it is slow but still.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Good lord that gets me in the feels, little did I know the horrors happening only a couple of cars behind me. 

Had I known it sounded like that when running I would've recommended just giving up straight away and not trying pulling to bits in the pits like we did.

That engine thought it ugga'd its last dugga that day.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, kws said:

Good lord that gets me in the feels, little did I know the horrors happening only a couple of cars behind me. 

Had I known it sounded like that when running I would've recommended just giving up straight away and not trying pulling to bits in the pits like we did.

That engine thought it ugga'd its last dugga that day.

Gave me/us something to do... :D 

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the engine wednesday and got bizzy after work.

H0AslF1.jpeg

Mmm shiny

MhLjRt4.jpeg

Outside not so much - I think I prefer this, because it'd fuck with me if I only had some parts that were super shiny on the outside.

EWGtPYR.jpeg

They skimmed the head, checked for cracks and heat issues, and only found minor pitting on some valve seats which they lapped out.

MXW0HAU.jpeg

Forgetting that I hadn't done this ahead of time, I went through a soapy water -> water rinse -> brake cleaner -> fresh oil routine to make sure the engine gets as little extra iron in its diet as possible.

vx2maye.jpeg

GsZf2sP.jpeg

The valve stem seals go in with a socket and extension + oil... I uh accidentally put a used one in at once (visible at bottom of image above), because for some reason past tom put an old one next to a fresh one...

1nto2y9.png

Special tool 09916–14510

UyKZ39A.jpeg

Special tool 09916–14522. If I had to change this I'd make it a little longer. 

mR53Meu.png

gDHxwiR.jpeg

The first one went in reasonably easy. I used some shitty aliexpress tweezers (might as well be made of slices of takeaway container plastic) and grease to hold the bingles in place.

It made me think that this would be easy...

nXxIjYG.jpeg

Turns out almost all of them gave me a fight. The bingles HATE going into position and the intake side is even more of a bitch as they need to seat deeper. They'd wiggle free, pop each other out, stick to the tweezers or whatever else I put in there, and just generally be a bit of a bitch. The tool I printed left too short a window on a couple of them to keep a piece of material in there to hold the bingles down. I tried a bunch of tricks, including putting foam in the special tool and in a socket, but ultimately the best technique was to just struggle and eventually get there.

uuUP5eq.jpeg

CQz1mmq.jpeg

The next day we aimed to get the head and the block together. We got the shop to do the rotating assembly and I think it was well worth it. 

ilUggkY.jpeg

Before we could put the head on there were a couple jobs we wanted to do first.

First, the oil seal housing. Some internet sleuthing tells me that Threebond 1217G is equivalent to Permatex Ultra Grey.

vk7GKRU.jpeg

Special tool 09911–95010 helps get the seal onto the crank.

zAztmQD.png

Girlface finishes off cleaning the breather plate and we get that back on too.

KRFAMFY.png

While we waited for the sealant to cure, we got the engine set up on the hoozitchacallit. Then after an hour we came back and torqued to spec.

Uk74E3m.jpeg

Wiping down all surfaces with brake cleaner, we busted out the dowels and head gasket... and then the engine got marginally larger!

G8du4bF.jpeg

6EZGjmm.jpeg

The head bolts are next. We got fresh new ones under the assumption that the old ones underwent enough plastic deformation to be unusable, but I haven't actually checked.

20 Nm, then 40Nm, fine.

But then +60 degrees, which introduces unhappy metal sounds and vibrations, which is really disconcerting!

And then another +60 degrees which put us completely in anoos puckering territory. Fuck me I'm glad that's over and nothing broke.

mUqFHWj.jpeg

IGqCR4x.jpeg

Today, I set my sights on the camshafts, sprockets, chain and oil cover. 

I still hadn't disassembled and cleaned the camshaft parts so that was the first job.

DUkqGui.jpeg

Gingerly separated the cams from their sprockets in a vice, then cleaned in the parts washer before rinsing thoroughly with brake cleaner and then a further rinse in fresh oil. The exhaust camshaft was a lot simpler to clean :)

iIK6mT4.png

BRAEdpZ.png

The intake camshaft has a bearing at the sprocket end, just the one, I guess because there are some complex oil gallery stuffs going on there.

The old bearing felt fine but I grabbed a new one anyway, it's only one size.

Then the cams go in! It was ambiguous in the manual whether to use oil on the bolts but I thought yes and the internet backed me up so that's what I did. Kelv later told me his gut said no. So Kelv, if something fucks up here, you were right.

9x0ZNeb.png

T0EdOKf.jpeg

It was at this point I tore the garage up trying to find the crankshaft key. It gone :(. I remember seeing it at some stage so I can't imagine it has gone far but ugghh what a bummer, let me keep assembling god damn it!

I kept going anyway and got the chain, guides and tensioner set up per the manual. Before I torqued the tensioner down I tested that everything can be removed with it in place for if I find the key / need to disassemble the head later, so that gets the ol' paint marks on the bolts treatment.

9R4u6eo.jpeg

RfAfz6x.jpeg

The other annoying thing: the machinist said to check the valve clearances due to the lapping.

qd4vlbC.png

pvsz18X.png

I slightly fucked it up (measured at parallel instead of perpendicular because the above image didn't load first time and I'm a numpty) but I got a 0.2mm in (good) but not a 0.25mm in (bad). I also wanted to get the chain properly set up so I could start rotating the lobes into the correct positions for measuring so that annoyingly threw me off today.

I'll find some way to measure those little bastards tomorrow though. I really hope I don't have to wait for new tappets and/or key from Japan...

But anyway progress is progress!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey I really hope I've mis read but did you lap the valves to the seats before you reassembled or did they do that at the shop and had the valves labelled to fit the head?

If it came back a bare head I'd be worried about valves sealing to the seats

And did you leak test the valves before you put the head on the block? 

If the machine shop/engine reconditioner lapped the valve seats to remove pitting then just putting the valves back into the head may not seal as well as it should 

Happy to he corrected :) and I hope that makes sense

Great to see progress and I hope it all goes vaxk together well

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shrike said:

Hey I really hope I've mis read but did you lap the valves to the seats before you reassembled or did they do that at the shop and had the valves labelled to fit the head?

If it came back a bare head I'd be worried about valves sealing to the seats

And did you leak test the valves before you put the head on the block? 

If the machine shop/engine reconditioner lapped the valve seats to remove pitting then just putting the valves back into the head may not seal as well as it should 

Yeah the machinist lapped the valves in the head and did leak tests on each one :) Thanks for checking.

aesNiMO.jpeg

4 hours ago, mjrstar said:

Is it safe to assume you fixed this before the cams went in?

Crap... I think that's an action shot, but god damn it now I have to go back and check lol. Fortunately I have photographic evidence.

Yep it's an action shot. Phew

bTaJMI4.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tomble said:

20 Nm, then 40Nm, fine.

But then +60 degrees, which introduces unhappy metal sounds and vibrations, which is really disconcerting!

And then another +60 degrees which put us completely in anoos puckering territory. Fuck me I'm glad that's over and nothing broke.

Wait till you try a diesel!

20 Nm, 40 Nm, 105° then 105° was a bit of a nerve wracking process haha

• Sad 1

We found a piece of plastic that was approximately the right size to serve as a temporary (and safe on the metal) shaft key to allow us to turn the crank and cams at the same time.

Then, we measured the valve clearances - properly this time, when the lobes are perpendicular to the tappets.

j9nbrDr.jpeg

And I don't really know what I was stressing out about because fortunately everything measured in spec. The worst one is exhaust #6 which is still well within spec.

Phew! 

VSQg9Mv.jpeg

Still can't find that fucking shaft key (PN 09421-04005) though

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tomble said:

We found a piece of plastic that was approximately the right size to serve as a temporary (and safe on the metal) shaft key to allow us to turn the crank and cams at the same time.

Then, we measured the valve clearances - properly this time, when the lobes are perpendicular to the tappets.

j9nbrDr.jpeg

And I don't really know what I was stressing out about because fortunately everything measured in spec. The worst one is exhaust #6 which is still well within spec.

Phew! 

VSQg9Mv.jpeg

Still can't find that fucking shaft key (PN 09421-04005) though

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/09421-04005 I love that this is a quad bike part...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Doug Hill said:

You can make a new woodruff key yourself with a little bit of key stock. If you send me the width/length I may have a bit here I can send 

<3 I'll get some measurements in the morning. I'll also call around on Monday to see if any motorcycle shops or ATV wreckers or whatever have one available. In the mean time I've pushed the button to get one from Japan (right as we enter their holiday week...)