Joe's two stroke collection

Goat

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're sensitive to carb synch. Not sure if it's on that year but early ones have a plug in the side of the carbs to let you see the slides.  But better to vacuum synch anyway. The late ones like yours lost quite a lot of power compared to the earlier models Plug sensitive too. Has it still got surface gap plugs ?

i owned and raced a blue model. CDI ignition but still a drum front brake. The White first years, the red next up and the blue ones all had the same barrel porting so all were full power. I used to have an article with the full noise port timings but it's long gone. White and red ones had points ignition.

• Like 1

Dad just got his one (1969, red tank, unrestored, owned for 40 years or so) running again, apparently I'm allowed to ride around on it when I get my restricted (his permission, not the laws). We should have an H1 meet and make some blue smoke.

• Like 4

Have you asked around to find someone to rebuild the crank ?  It's fast becoming a lost art in NZ.

If you can't come up with good cases, it's not too hard to set up and machine that bearing housing oversize. Then a pegged sleeve back to OE size.

• Like 3

My immediate reaction to reading that was - you're in the North Island. Talking to my customers from up north over many years, the SI pricing has invariably been lower for one-off jobs.

Best of luck doing the rebuilds. If you chicken out, I can point you at two good guys down here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rad! I've got a 71 aswell. Just in the process of giving mine a wee refresh. Some new carb rubbers and intake rubbers along with new cables.
Super keen to help you rebuild your crank! Currently sourcing bits of steel to help with crank pressing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@cubastreet Should be all good thanks, Currently trying to secure various bits and pieces for an assortment of pressing bits. What's the OD of your crank webs?

Gonna get a section of steam pipe to use for crank pressing, should make sure it can fit t500 cranks too :)

• Like 1