Joe's two stroke collection

Goat

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, tortron said:

Ever had the welds crack, maybe due to different expansion rates? Maybe not a problem when the weights go in from the side, some v8ss throw them out and is suggested to weld a bit of steel over the top jnstead, but I think this is when they put them in the circumference of the Web rather than the side

The weld recommendation comes from one of the world's leading 2 stroke tuners - not me.  He regularly uses mallory metal for balancing and invariably tack welds it in.

• 3 weeks later...

Making progress.
I ended up using the original crank web and just used bearing retainer to hold the bearing on. Worst case it will spin and damage the already damaged crank. Consider this practice.
I also used retaining compound to hold in the mallory weights. This seemed to lock them in good. Note that although loose, they couldnt actually come out, so even if they come loose again they won't fall out.

With the crank all true within 0.02mm. It was all ready to nip up the bottom end!

Setting final bottom end clearance on the last web:

image.thumb.jpeg.37846e90538dba87ba96bdaf7ae607f4.jpeg

Prepping cases, Cleaning, cleaning, chasing all threads and more cleaning:
image.thumb.jpeg.29991d9f1bb030bca4543ef5bb83be37.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.399e8ea30536a3a6351afddd2abfd207.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fbc2c9b3f537a3ba9d3eecc0e08c9d1a.jpeg

Now I could sit the goodies in the case checking for function and binding as i go:
image.thumb.jpeg.1ac2303757e245e38aae71fd9547e545.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cc1bf7c8b38df16102630d478aa1ce22.jpeg

Couple of dots of bearing retainer:
image.jpeg.f262c64217b078336d4a1775ed417b99.jpeg

And a fuck up on my part, who can spot it:
image.thumb.jpeg.993ba9e73a40b0dd31ab3a9d516317ef.jpeg

All together ready for torquing:
image.thumb.jpeg.87d650988dce7d7f1616cbb084121db9.jpeg

All nipped up:
image.thumb.jpeg.8a4b7ffd1ec54c42bd8981f61c8cde37.jpeg

image.jpeg.53609826a922c2468abc8208305d7075.jpeg

Goes through all the gears, crank spins freely, and kickstarter works.

Polishing up sidecovers as they go on. And need to assemble the clutch etc. But that should all go well.

Next step to pick up freshly powdercoated frame and start reassembling the bike. Might be on track for some summer hoons!

• Like 7

Those things and the similar 500 have a nasty trick. If the kickstart gear seizes on it's shaft, the whole assembly including the kickstart pedal can spin at the speed of the gear in the box. I'm told it can be spectacular - and painful.

Moral is to never let the oil level in the box get too low.

Good progress. Well done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! Its all learning. 
Definitely learned some lessons already. And have a more robust plan for the other H1 rebuild. 

Biggest win is I'm no longer scared of pressing cranks apart, pulling bearings, and truing. Was pretty good towards the end in knowing where to hit to get desired changes.

The actual only pain was these mallory weights, it looks like they were cast in the crank, they weren't press in slugs. Every web i had to give the bash to true, the slugs came undone (very slightly). Loctite seemed to firm them back up, and they couldn't actually fall out.

Next crank I rebuild, I'll take the cast weights out, and press in some equal weight tungsten slugs. That should remove this issue completly.

• Like 1