30Degrees 1975 Datsun 260c H330 Station Wagon Discussion

I had no issues with that axle collar when I collected from Denham. Drove it from Palmy all the way to Blenheim no probs. It was awesome, but it just made a shit annoying noise that I wanted gone.

It was only when a purchased a new 260c bearing kit from TradeMe and replaced the axle from another Datsun that my troubles started. 

I talked with Denham and a heap of other dudes from the Datsun club but at the end of the day, I’m no mechanic just a hobbyist.

9BB2E86D-4303-48C6-8C9A-374EAC1691A6.thumb.jpeg.3aa8a3a6a5d48929401f8b635b48d3ff.jpeg

This was the homemade way I pressed on collar. Heat it up in the oven 180degrees and drove it home with the steel tube. I tried to upload finish pic but file size won’t let me.

I talked to another Datsun/prince owner that had an issues with bearing supply and telling their supplier (Auckland Bearings) they were too big. They were smart enough to send to an engineer friend before installing. 

At the end of the day. I prob should have had it machine pressed by someone in the know. .. so it’s off to CM Coombes to machine a new axle and instal.

I did the bearings on my old 330 260C, they were easy to source, just a 6208 and the local SKF shop had them on the shelf. Collars are a bit trickier, got mine from Amayama who still have them in stock. I dropped the lot to a local 4x4 outfit to install as noone else had the gear to pull the old bearings off.

AdAqwsV.jpg

Legend, just ordered a locking collar now from Adayama. Picture of part number was perfect thanks.

”edit”

turns out it’s the same part number as the collar i used. Will still send to engineers with axle. Atleast they will have something to conspire/use if it is correct8ACEE652-5DCC-4DF6-AEB5-008030AF3FD7.thumb.jpeg.491771f9417806590472165fabe45f19.jpeg

Edited by 30DegreesRetarded
Added to comments
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I went to Repco Blenheim with all the measurements and even the ball joints. They looked at me like I was at a beauty salon … walked out of there.

Went and saw Bert at Repco Nelson and managed to get the tie rod ends off shelf but not the ball joints. The D21’s fit but they don’t sell just the boot, need to buy the whole joint. 

im going to try the local BnT & Supercheap and then start looking through wreckers. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@30DegreesRetarded did you buy the springs new? They often need 500kms or so to settle .

also the longer one will go on the driver's side . Because most cars get driven with only a driver so the perch the drivers side a wee bit higher to stop it sagging immediately  

trim thr bumpstops if there is enough travel in the shock only. Otherwise your shock will become the bumpstop and that's not good lol.

• Like 1

I ended up drawing an outline/stencil of the spring and marking the top end of the springs because my eye gauge couldn’t tell them apart. One I think is about 10mm longer. Springs 2years new, only done 50km one em. Both towers have their own spring perch and Haynes manual has them at top of tower (which I’ve done). Hopefully this has it covered. I’m reassembling again now so let’s see. 

1 hour ago, 30DegreesRetarded said:

I ended up drawing an outline/stencil of the spring and marking the top end of the springs because my eye gauge couldn’t tell them apart. One I think is about 10mm longer. Springs 2years new, only done 50km one em. Both towers have their own spring perch and Haynes manual has them at top of tower (which I’ve done). Hopefully this has it covered. I’m reassembling again now so let’s see. 

Put the longer one on the drives side