1972 Suzuki F50

yoeddynz

Sweet score!

F is the successor to the U series and predecessor to the FR models.

You'll want to fill that side tank with 2t oil and bleed the pump ASAP, old Suzuki's have what they called CCI lubrication, the left crank bearing is oiled directly by a line from the pump and not from fuel.

Depending on year it also is the main oil source for the big end bearing too, injected on the left of the left bearing, makes it's way through that into a plate that is pressed into a hole in the end of the crank pin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Raizer said:

Sweet score!

F is the successor to the U series and predecessor to the FR models.

You'll want to fill that side tank with 2t oil and bleed the pump ASAP, old Suzuki's have what they called CCI lubrication, the left crank bearing is oiled directly by a line from the pump and not from fuel.

Depending on year it also is the main oil source for the big end bearing too, injected on the left of the left bearing, makes it's way through that into a plate that is pressed into a hole in the end of the crank pin.

This is spot on. There's been the death of many CCI 2ts, from Barry doing a premix only

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great advice. Cheers. You've both probably saved my bike from certain death! I'll get some oil today.  Could be any 2 stroke oil? or is there a specific recommended oil for this type of setup? 

Also - how do I bleed the lines? I really need to find a manual for it eh. Its all new to me. 

Any 2T oil will do. Maybe not marine.. hah.

Bleed the lines, you should be able to find the oil pump, its often behind the sprocket cover on my small suzukis anyway.

I usually just fire it up on some premix, and let it idle, but pull the pump throttle on max, you should be able to see oil moving through the lines with a torch.

Mind you, Ive never come across an old 2stroke where the lines are empty. So probably fine to just fill up the oil tank, pop a bit of premix in the fuel tank, fire it up, and hold the oil pump WOT for a couple of mins.

• Like 1

I'd run a half decent semi synthetic 2t oil if it was mine.

Oil pump is under the same cover as the front sprocket, will be a screw or small bolt close to where the oil line from the tank goes in, you just crack it until oil seeps out consistently without air bubbles.

Suzuki recommend in the A50 manual running a small amount of premixed petrol and taking it easy until you see oil in the line by the carb, but they are a pretty hardy pump so I doubt you'll have any issues with it.

• Like 3

Armed with the above advice I could not leave this little bike alone and had to check the oil system.

20230131-094923-Custom.jpg

I removed the outlet from the very empty dry oil tank and cleaned out the tiny bit of dirt residing in the bottom so removing any chance it could get into the pump..

20230131-094930-Custom.jpg

After some brake clean and a bit of wooden dowel to free up the dirt..

20230131-095012-Custom.jpg

I put some Penrite 2 stroke oil I use for the chainsaw in. It states its idea for industrial 2 strokes so it'll do for testing purposes I'm sure.

Then the pump - hiding behind this little cover. I noted that the sprocket looks good with barely a sign of hooking showing.

20230131-095135-Custom.jpg

Cover off..

20230131-095828-Custom.jpg

exposing a neat little pump arrangement..

20230131-095838-Custom.jpg

It all looked clean and untouched in there. I pushed the bike outside and started it up. Minky the micra probably not pleased with this new 'moooore economy' mode of transport ...

20230131-103601-Custom.jpg

Removed what looked like the obvious bleed bolt as mentioned above by Mr Raizer and monsieur Goat and sure enough the oil did start to flow :) ...

20230131-103106-Custom.jpg

With the bolt back in place I could see oil being pumped in pulses out the two outlet pipes.

I'll check the flow at the carb later but I feel pretty confident it'll be ok.

• Like 7

Cheers Glen. Yeah I had found that one and book marked it already. Useful because I can at least make out how the bike fits together when I'm looking at a pile of bits on the floor.

Got some bits this arvo. 

20230131-173705-Custom.jpg

Picked up those brand new rear indicators for $5 each! They were clearing them out. I thought the lenses would surely not fit my chrome bodies but the went straight on! They actually have suzuki japan molded into the plastic.  Bloody bargain considering bulbs were included.

Took it for another hoon up and down our driveway. Must get a helmet  - I looked at some at the bike shop but nothing really retro suitable there. But they can order various ones in and they look nice. I have a full face helmet from the UK but its just not befitting of a 50cc bike I'll be taking to the beach etc.

Can't get used to the original gear lever. It's awkward to use (it being a bit bent doesn't help).  I'm going to make a new one, a modern style, to suit.

• Like 5

Took this out for a longer test ride down to Marahau yesterday morning. Re-fitted the original mirrors it had come with and the leg shield. Pretty much all complete now and looks really neat.

It goes so well. Was faultless but for the snapped speedo cable - the remaining bit of inner is stuck down inside the outer with neither end sticking out so I'll order a whole new one. So in order to check speed I wore my Garmin watch.  It cruises along nicely at 55kph and hit 60 with a bit more to go but I was only wearing a pushbike helmet and it got a bit noisy.

Ideal fun way to get to the beach for a swim though!  (which I noted was empty but for two people even though its still holidays!)

20230203-120208.jpg

20230203-120304.jpg

20230203-114828.jpg

Must get it rego'd now and sort out a helmet.

• Like 9