keltiks' 1980s Ross 35

keltik

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The timing of these new winches is pretty ideal as I've entered a race!

The Mount Maunganui yacht club runs slightly more casual races than the Tauranga club so I'm going to attempt to do their 2 handed winter series.  Only 2 people allowed on each boat.  There are 6 races all up.

The first one didn't go so well.

2 days before the race, my crew (dad) caught COVID. So I roped in a mate to help. We were a bit late getting the boat up to Tauranga, setting it up took longer than expected with the new rigging and conditions were shit.

A 20 knots westerly whipping the harbour into an annoying chop with 30 knot rain squalls coming through.  We tried to get the main sail up but there was no way to safely do it due to the outboard cavitating with both of our weights further forward.  Me at the mast feeding the sail in and Mike at the winches.

Normally I would duck behind a container ship at the port to get the sails up but there were none! 

With only 20 mins to the race start, I called it off.  Not enough time to get our shit together and get to the start line.

The weather for my first race was a real shame as the week before I had the pleasure of doing another race on a big catamaran.

6FTFAaE.jpeg

Absolutely no wind. So we drifted along for a couple hours, relaxing if not thrilling.

2 weeks later, did the next race in the series on the same boat. A perfect amount of wind and had a great race until we ran aground.

dT5hXYP.jpeg

So this next race, the forecast says we'll have 10 knots which is perfect conditions for my boat. 

Fingers crossed I can do the 2 handed race on Saturday and if the weather continues to be perfect, might do the open series race on Sunday.

If the weather's shit, I'll do Sundays open series race on the catamaran.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Beaver said:

Story time please

Not much drama tbh.  From where I was sitting down in the cockpit, I couldn't see shit.  Just sitting there trimming the main sail waiting for instructions.  Skipper called everyone to be ready for a tack, told the helmsman to make the turn when ready.  We were nearing the edge of the channel and trying to get every bit of distance before tacking.

Guy on the helm left it a few seconds too late and the boat stopped pretty quickly when the daggerboards hit the bottom.  As its a soft silt bottom - it wouldn't have damaged anything. We just dumped the wind out of the sails, fired up both diesels and gave them full beans in reverse.  Soon as we were free - engines off, sails tightened up and away we went.

Probably the 3rd time I've run aground in the last 9 months on 3 different boats.  The only time you start to pucker is when the tide is going out and the engine isn't able to pull the boat off the bottom. Then you need to get creative.

Running aground at sea or during a bar crossing is a whole different thing.  I've got a great story about that from 18 years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, keltik said:

If you wanted the short version... Tough luck

That was a rollercoaster of a read.

So the keel got stuck in the mud and stayed there when  wave shifter the boat?

Mustve been a puckering moment finding a pivotal part of the yacht missing 

Just now, JustHarry said:

That was a rollercoaster of a read.

So the keel got stuck in the mud and stayed there when  wave shifter the boat?

Mustve been a puckering moment finding a pivotal part of the yacht missing 

Yup pretty much that.  Many years have gone by and I have now heard from 3 other people that ripped the keel off their Bavarias. So I think the factory could do a better job of bolting them on.  

• Like 1

holy shit that was a story. A+ scary af, would not recommend. 

it must be an extreme amount of load having the earth hold the keel and the ocean hold the both, while disagreeing on direction.
maybe they were just too long/wrong shape, seems like it would be hard to engineer out without alot of extra weight, plus it might have sunk faster or been torn apart if it didn't rip out? but a boat builder is not on my cv.

• 1 month later...

Open series race on Sunday was around Karewa island, finished second in the boat I was on.  Couldn't have asked for a better weekend tbh.

AP0mTRR.jpeg

And the cherry on top, placed second in the 2 handed race on my boat.  Can't wait to try and repeat this success in 3 weeks.

d8DoYlN.jpeg

Next post should be my wiring upgrades finished with solar panel and engine charging circuit hooked up.

• Like 5

It all makes good - and familiar - reading. We were a yachting family when I was a kid. Raced dinghys for years then built our first keeler. Raced and cruised that then built our second. A stub keel, centerboard Van der Stat design originally for the River Plate estuary. Turned out that it planed in the right conditions which meant that sailed agressively it was a winner in local BPCC B class. And the old man having raced dinghys most of his life was VERY agressive on the helm.

From another forum I'm in contact with a kiwi living in the Med who runs a rigging business. Superyachts and race boats at top end and maintenance of a couple of hire fleets, He was talling me the costs of rigging using carbon fibre rod stays which are now the hot setup. Un bloody believable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...