keltiks' 1980s Ross 35

keltik

The double eye springs also have less camber so the ride height should drop by 30mm which is very welcome.  Can't get any lower without going to a pair of gullwing axles as the center would contact the framing around the hull at any decent amount of bump.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Got the new springs in.

spacer.png

Managed to bleed the brakes properly by unbolting the caliper and tilting the bleeder nipple to the top as it's in the 11 o'clock position when installed.

Not sure why, but it tows a million times better now. No more banging the back end of the tow vehicle around - it just follows along smoothly.

Went for a WOF and failed on front wheel bearings.  Previous owner said he had done them but one was rust fucked and the other had no inner bearing cage left... Just powder.

spacer.png

Had to tidy up the seal surface on the stub axles so hit it with JB weld to fill in the pitting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Should be better than it was. 

Replaced the lights with some of those Narva kits that have oring sealed connectors on the harness so there's no joins - you just plug it all together and cap off any connections not used with blanking plugs.

Hopefully get the WOF issued next week when I can get it back down the local for a recheck.  

• Like 5

On the to-do list;

Get all instruments working.  Managed to get the depth sounder to power up after rewiring +12v to the correct pin.  Need to make sure the transducer is good next time I'm in the water.

The mast head sender unit for the wind angle and speed gauge is missing.  Luckily, all my gauges are made by Midas who still support the old stuff and can provide parts for an acceptable price.

Sort out wiring for cabin lights.

Install the solar panel and charge controller.

Replace the jib.  I've got 2 sizes currently, they're both kevlar laminate ones that are fucked from age.  Need to decide what size and material I want the new one made from.

Install my chartplotter somewhere in the cockpit.

Repair a few chips in the gel coat then paint or antifoul the bottom.

Sail it in a decent wind and see what breaks.

The big goal for this year is to do the legends regatta without dying.

• Like 4

Those wednesday races are fun, did a couple as a crew member for some sailing barry years back. One night he had too many beers and turned into current while motoring and crashed into the boat ramp wharf pontoon thing putting a sizable hole in the bow

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to rip one of the lifeline stanchions out of the deck.  I knew it had leaked a little water under there but was hoping for the best.

2abEfxd.jpeg

Sent it off to the old mans place so he can play boatbuilder.  He loves fiberglass.

Since that particular stanchion takes a lot of stress and the docking cleat is close by - he's cut the hole out until there was good wood, glued in a new piece of ply, glassed it all together then set the deck skin back over the patch.

While it's there, he's also going to repair a few dings in the gel coat on the hull so we can apply a new barrier coat and paint the bottom.

Got a deadline to work to. He wants to go sailing around Tauranga for his birthday in 3 weeks.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that didn't work great was the new outboard.  Remember how I swapped the original one for a newer short shaft model?  Well that was a mistake.  The long shaft really would've come in handy today.

Coming back to the ramp, it managed to suck some air down and sit there cavitating for juuust a bit too long.  Dropped power to idle but it wouldn't recover.  So the wind blew us into the breakwater rocks.

DYvrGIe.jpeg

Bit gutted, but the main cedar planks are ok, it's just fucked the outer plywood skin.  Should be able to cut off the damaged layer and glass a new piece in easy enough. 

• Sad 10

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, keltik said:

My wallet is thoroughly beaten and bleeding.

This sounds like exactly the sort of thing that @Testament warned me of in my boat thread..

...."I hope you are quite aware you have just acquired a bottomless hole in the ocean that can only be filled with money, or possibly the blood of your first born"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, keltik said:

My wallet is thoroughly beaten and bleeding.

Is there a “hobby” worth doing that doesn’t make your wallet smoke from time to time?  Boat is looking really good now. Quite envious.

Sailed a bit in my late teenage, though mostly only dinghies, with a bit of occasional crewing (my version) for someone with a 25 footer around the Solent and IOW. Liked that. If I lived in your part of the world, the temptation would be strong!

• Like 1