dmulally's pimpin' Imp

fuel

Yeah that's a no go on imps unless one was to change the outer joints from hooke joints to cvs - which would be quite a ballache. 

The imp driveshafts failing point is the small diameter along the length and they twist. A problem that was solved with the larger 1" diameter imp sport shafts. They are hard to find at sensible prices though. 

I'll be joining my scooby shafts into the imp shaft as close to the uni joint as I can and run a sleeve on top as well, so increasing the diameter.  I don't think either Damian or I will have issues with failure given the fairly modest power we are expecting *

*and then he goes fitting a supercharger (a Bart-charger) 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Adoom said:

I've got most of a full sheet of 0.8 cold rolled, but seems more like 0.7 to me. If that's a suitable thickness, let me know and I'll give you some.

Adam

That could be a goer! I wont be seam welding it (ie: blowing holes in 0.8) so it would work. I'll send you a flirty PM 

This is the grill that came with it. Looks like shit to me but would be perfect for a front rad. Lucky I gave it away. Can anybody think of any ideas of what I can put on that is subtle? I'm thinking five 2" holes punched inwards with some mesh behind it. 

Imp1.jpg

please please please don't do what the lazy folk in the UK do and vent the radiator out the bonnet. Imo it ruins the clean lines and just looks a bit naff. Its very easy to cut a hole in the spare wheel well, brace it and make a nice bit of ducting to feed it out there :-)  I'm amazed at how well my setup cools that Datsun down -only a couple of times has the fan had to kick in and that was on stupidly hot days when stopping after a hot run.  I think quite a bit of heat is lost just off the pipes heading to the front and back.

Your small all alloy scooby motor wont take much to cool either.

EDIT : I just read that you've already gone done punctured holes through your bonnet.

Might as well add a scooby wrx bonnet vent, pointing backwards then.

As for your front inlet- there's heaps of airflow through the opened up hole so just make a simple bit of ducting to spread that flow across the radiator face.  You can angle the radiator too which helps as the airflow pulls more off the fins if it has change its angle as it flows through.

No more holes!!!

Naughty Damian. Bad boy! No pudding for you!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

Its very easy to cut a hole in the spare wheel well, brace it and make a nice bit of ducting to feed it out there

Factory drain holes, Mr Wof Inspector.  Minis venting through the wheel arch was a similar inventive solution, never heard anyone complain of it overheating the brake on that side.

Probably not a good idea to have a reverse-facing scoop, as the high pressure zone at the base of the windscreen will push the air the wrong way.

On This Day: The Morris title winner - Supercars

• Like 1

On 13/07/2023 at 09:01, yoeddynz said:

please please please don't do what the lazy folk in the UK do and vent the radiator out the bonnet. Imo it ruins the clean lines and just looks a bit naff. Its very easy to cut a hole in the spare wheel well, brace it and make a nice bit of ducting to feed it out there :-)  I'm amazed at how well my setup cools that Datsun down -only a couple of times has the fan had to kick in and that was on stupidly hot days when stopping after a hot run.  I think quite a bit of heat is lost just off the pipes heading to the front and back.

Your small all alloy scooby motor wont take much to cool either.

EDIT : I just read that you've already gone done punctured holes through your bonnet.

Might as well add a scooby wrx bonnet vent, pointing backwards then.

As for your front inlet- there's heaps of airflow through the opened up hole so just make a simple bit of ducting to spread that flow across the radiator face.  You can angle the radiator too which helps as the airflow pulls more off the fins if it has change its angle as it flows through.

No more holes!!!

Naughty Damian. Bad boy! No pudding for you!

If only you were as right as you are pretty. 

Allow me to show you my working out. 

Radflow.jpg

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

So some big decisions are coming up soon for the Imp. I presently have the EA81 off being rebuilt and am working on the front radiator mounts/ducting. 

I got a call out of the blue about two Imps for sale along with a shed load of parts. One is an Imp van with the windows (a husky) and the other is a basic bitch Imp with a subaru conversion already done! From what I can tell without pics it has an EA71 and a stock gearbox. It has been certed and the rego on hold. The van is dead rego. All allegedly. 

I have ALWAYS wanted an Imp van and with my quest to get down to 3 cars in 5 years (67 Econoline camper van and 66 C20 ute the other two hence me trying to flog the rest now) I'll definitely be keeping an Imp as a forever car. The van could be a good candidate for an EV conversion with all the space in the back but I dont even know if I'll get around to doing an EV as my cert guy wasnt keen. 

• Like 4