Flash's 1965 Ford Thames

Flash

Yep Alex, I know exactly what you mean about the conflicting float level info out there on the interwebs.

I ended up going with the 38.5mm from bottom of float to gasket surface measurement that seems to be a popular choice amongst those running plastic floats. Mine was about 3mm out from this measurement at the start of the exercise. I've still got the carby off while I finish off my fibreglass hat, but it's going to be interesting to see if my tweak has made any positive difference.

• Like 1

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if this is a totally stupid idea or not but could you add a pulley between the driveshaft universal and your gearbox or axle and drive the AC pump from that. Obviously its only going to work when your moving but better then no AC at all?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for posting those photos Bryan. Definitely the first time I've seen that setup.

My mate Grant has a few MK2 GTs in his collection, but the gauge cluster looks quite different to the GTE.

144cac6ce3762ca72746924d57f599d6.jpg.2853adba4cc13187cfcc0baf5feb2e77.jpg

I always fancied this look. My first car was an Anglia 105e and back in the day you could buy a fibreglass dash for the 105E that mimicked this setup, but I was just a peniless school boy so I ended up making a gauge pod out of plywood that I covered in vinyl and then slapped it onto the Anglia dash with a few self-tappers. I thought it was the dog's bollocks.

• Like 2

That's what I recall reading, the wood and upholstery were done here to keep up the local content.

They must have imported some GTs, as a school friend bought his brother's one with the "proper" GT dash.

As an aside, I have a 3D printed replica of a BL Special Tuning 3-gauge cluster for my Marina, that replaced the radio speaker grille in the dash on the Group 2 rally cars.

A9AEC256-1BE2-4815-B69B-3AC915C8DEC5.jpeg.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, locost_bryan said:

That's what I recall reading, the wood and upholstery were done here to keep up the local content.

They must have imported some GTs, as a school friend bought his brother's one with the "proper" GT dash.

As an aside, I have a 3D printed replica of a BL Special Tuning 3-gauge cluster for my Marina, that replaced the radio speaker grille in the dash on the Group 2 rally cars.

A9AEC256-1BE2-4815-B69B-3AC915C8DEC5.jpeg.jpg

That looks bloody good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seeking advice - any input would be greatly appreciated.

Checking out the engine specs for the mighty Toyota 3Y engine, the factory thermostat opens at 85 degrees Celsius and they state that normal operating temps are anywhere between 85 and 100 degrees C.

Using a laser temp gun, I've been able to ascertain that at operating temp out on the open road the van runs a top of 97C measured at the thermostat housing (the last engine point before the cooling system). Idling in my driveway all day long I'm also measuring a top of 97C.

I don't know enough about Toyota engines to determine whether my current temps are too high, but it does make me nervous that I seem to be fairly close to the maximum temp stated by Toyota.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 24/11/2023 at 14:11, Tiger Tamer said:

Thats Flash as Flash :thumbleft:. Always nice to deal with people who are genuinely interested in what you are doing and what you have done.

Bill has done a nice job to complement your own hard work. You must be rapt.

Thanks for the feedback @Tiger Tamer. Yep super chuffed with how it has turned out

On 24/11/2023 at 15:50, igor said:

Loving the '50s diner vibe you've got going there Gordon. Where's the jukebox?

@ igor , now there's a thought!

A little Wurlitzer replica tucked up in one of the corners would look pretty cool I reckon.